Switzerland 3.5 days itinerary from 30 Apr 2016

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2016 at 15:51:07 #808603

Hi All,

I am Wen from Singapore travelling to Europe for first time along with my husband for honeymoon. Kindly help on my itinerary while am in Switzerland for 3 and half days. Below is my rough plan. I will be reaching Zurich airport at 11.20am from Rome on 30th Apr 2016.

Day 1) Visit Rhine Falls after arrived airport, take train to Lucerne and overnight there.

Day 2) Day trip to Mt pilatus or Rigi, stay at Lucerne.

Day 3) Day trip to Interlaken, heard that many resort will close during that period… is it worth to visit there? Or we should stay at Lucerne? Please suggest things to do in Interlaken.. thanks!

Day 4) half day trip in Interlaken or Bern? We plan to take evening train to Zurich airport and will depart from there at 8.50pm.

Questions:

1) On Day 1, is it troublesome to bring along luggage when visit Rhine Falls? is that any luggage storage place at train station or near to the Rhine Falls?

2) On Day 2, which mountain makes more sense in early may?

3) On Day 3, is it worth to visit Interlaken? As heard that there is a lot of resort will close during that period.. got know there is some suggestion abt the village and cruise trip in Interlaken, how long such trip will take? How to plan the trip if we travel from Lucerne in the morning? Is it too late to start the trip?

4) Day 4, we have only half day, 08.50pm will depart from Zurich Airport.. any suggestion for us?

Thanks & regards,

Wen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    14 March 2016 at 8:57:26 #849346

Hi Wen, thanks for joining us!

Great that you get to spend your honeymoon in Switzerland. As for your questions:

1) You can store your luggage at the Zurich railway station, as you’ll have to pass that station anyway when traveling back from the Rhine Falls to Lucerne. Lockers in several sizes are available.

2) Both Pilatus and Rigi would be fine. Pilatus is closer to Lucerne, Rigi can well be combined with a boat trip over Lake Lucerne. Pilatus is higher, so there’s better chance of snow at the top (no guarantees by late April or early May though).

3) Interlaken itself isn’t really worth a visit, but the surrounding region definitely is. Mountain resorts aren’t actually closed; hotels and restaurants may be. You could consider visiting the Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch, doing a boat trip over one of the lakes, etcetera. A list of activities can be found at http://www.myswissalps .com/jungfrauregion/ac tivities . If you feel it’s too long of a journey, mind that Lucerne itself has lots to offer as well. Please review our Lake Lucerne page for tips.

4) Day 4 can still be spent in or near Lucerne. Alternatively, you can explore Zurich if you like shopping and cultural sights.

Once your plans are set, you should look into rail passes. I’d advise to consider either a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2016 at 9:14:35 #849347

Hi Annika,

Many thanks for your kind reply, i’m sorry for get back so late 😛

how if i change my itinerary like this:

Day 1 : Rhine Falls (after arrival Zurich Airport at 11.20am) —> Chapel Bridge and nearby attraction—> night stay at Lucerne

Day 2 : Mount Pilatus + Boat Trip —> night stay at Lucerne

Day 3 : Morning after breakfat & check out hotel, Depart to Murren village (hiking around) —> night stay at Murren

Day 4 : Continue explore Murren and nearby village —> depart to Zurich Airport by 3.00pm

Questions:

– For Day 1, can we go to a boat trip instead if the weather is good? if so, day 2 we maybe not consider to take the boat trip when back from Mt. Pilatus.. is this arrangement make sense?

– For Day 2, How long the roughly travelling time need if visit Mt. Pilatus? can still fit in other activities on the day?

– For Day 3 & 4 is it make sense? will it be too rush for some activities such as visiting the Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch, doing a boat trip over one of the lakes as your advice? i know that the weather is the main concern to visit the mountain, what else we can do if the weather is bad in early may?

Many thanks!!

Regards, Wen

Annika
    7125 posts
    24 March 2016 at 9:40:42 #849348

Hi Wen,

Note that Mürren is one of the smaller mountain villages that is typically quiet in late April/early May. But of course you can look for a hotel there. If you like more facilities and a more central location, I’d rather advise Interlaken or Wilderswil. That will allow you to easily travel in other directions in case of bad weather. Sightseeing in Thun or Bern or a visit to the Ballenberg open air museum can be recommended as bad weather alternatives.

As for your further questions: sure, a boat trip on day 1 will work. The Pilatus trip takes about half a day, so you can plan some further activities if you like. Please see our Pilatus page and the timetable for details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2016 at 8:35:30 #849349

Hi Annika,

Thanks again for your kind reply, it really help me a lot:)

will take note your advice and thanks about the suggestion link again 😛

Regards,

wen

• The thread ‘Switzerland 3.5 days itinerary from 30 Apr 2016’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.