Thun or Interlaken as home base?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 22:49:05 #812425

We plan to stay in either Thun or Interlaken for 3 nights to visit such areas as the Lauterbrunnen Valley, Jungfrau, Grindelwald, Murren, Schulthorn – etc. We have found a place to stay in Thun, but I can’t tell if that will be a big inconvenience or not. We are traveling by train. I’d appreciate input! thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 8:15:15 #865857

Welkom on the forum, CatherineC

The travel time between Thun and Interlaken Ost is 34 or 48 minutes by train

I think, You can better stay in the Jungfrauregion self: Interlaken, Wilderswil, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Grindelwald

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 14:56:36 #865858

We have stayed many times in Thun – it is much nicer than Interlaken as a place to stay. We didn’t find the extra 30+ minutes to get to Interlaken an inconvenience. If the weather is not suitable for mountain visits, Thun is a good travel hub to travel to other areas when you need to adapt plans.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 15:33:55 #865859

Good to know- thank you!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2017 at 15:34:32 #865860

Good thoyght- thank you!

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    27 June 2017 at 22:09:29 #865861

Hi,

My personal favourite place to stay is Grindelwald because it is really in the middle of all the attractions that I have come to see and the mountains are right in front of you, not somewhere in the distance like at Interlaken. To my mind, Grindelwald is a destination – Thun and Interlaken are just stops on the way. Having said that, if you have to choose between Thun or Interlaken, I’d recommend Thun because it’s more interesting and a bit less touristy.

Cheers

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2017 at 9:52:35 #865862

Yes Alan, that is the different, Thun and also Interlaken is “in a city”, a hotel in Wengen, Grindelwald, Murren, you are realy in mountains.

The small city of Thun and Interlaken can you do in one or two hours each when you have a rainy day, with a boat trip on the Thunersee between them, and by train back.

• The thread ‘Thun or Interlaken as home base?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.