Travel Pass, half fare, or none at all?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2015 at 23:02:19 #806815

I have crunched all the numbers to determine which Swiss pass (or none) is the best for my family’s trip, but I’d like some clarification before I purchase. We have two adults, a 16 year old who is priced as an adult, and a 13 year old.

We are traveling from Venice to Wengen, staying for three nights, and traveling to Zurich before flying home the next day. I estimated train costs from the sbb.ch website for Domodossola to Wengen, and Wengen to Kloten (where our hotel is), throwing in a round trip ride from Kloten to Zurich so we can sightsee our last afternoon.

With no discounts, the cost is 588 sf. With the half fare card, it is 612 sf, and with the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass it is 715 sf. This does NOT include any transportation while in Wengen, and this is where I need help.

With just one lift from Wengen to Mannlichen costing (full price for 4, one way) 88 sf, it seems like the half fare card becomes a better deal than no card. But will we spend enough to make the Swiss Travel pass worth it? If transportation north of Wengen is only discounted 50% on the Travel Pass, then wouldn’t the Half Price card be a better bet?

I hope my line of reasoning makes sense; any feedback would be appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    19 January 2015 at 4:58:55 #841551

Yes, you do need a pass.

The high mountain transports that get you where you want to be around Wengen are much more expensive than “flat land” transport. And you did the research very well and learned that many of the so-called “go everywhere” expensive passes require you to pay 50% (sometimes 75%) of the costs for the high mountain transports in the BO. I’ve never figured out why anyone traveling to the area would buy those passes.

After 20 trips to the region we have always found the Half Fare Card to be the best value. You will need three of them. Your 13 year old will travel everywhere for free with the Family Card. But, you MUST request the free Family Card at the time you are buying your HFCs.

The HFCs will also be valid for 50% off of the portion of your Venice – Wengen transport but only if you have them in hand. Therefore I suggest you buy them on-line and have them mailed to you in your home country before you depart.

Annika
    7124 posts
    19 January 2015 at 7:41:18 #841552

Hi Dana8,

I also think a Swiss Half Fare Card is the best option in your case. If you would stay longer and explore a wider area, the Swiss Travel Pass could be worth it. The only disadvantage is that it includes a 25% discount to Jungfraujoch instead of 50%, but on the other hand it does include free traveling as far as Wengen, Mürren and Grindelwald, free boat trips and free museums (like the Swiss Open-Air Museum in Ballenberg). You can order your Swiss Half Fare Cards through the webshop of the SBB (Swiss Federal Railways) and print them at home. Further information about the card (maps, tips, other resellers) can be found here.

Kim, if you travel from Zurich airport to Wengen and back, the new Swiss Transfer Ticket with Swiss Half Fare Card Combi works out cheaper for you than the Swiss Half Fare Card. It saves CHF 6.40 per person. Information can be found here.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2015 at 13:25:47 #841553

Annika and Kim – I appreciate your feedback. I will buy the Half Fare Card online at home before we travel. Thank you so much!

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    19 January 2015 at 18:04:38 #841554

Annika, thank you so much for the good information. I have not yet taken time to study the new passes and this information is very helpful. We are headed back to Wengen and area again in September.

Annika
    7124 posts
    20 January 2015 at 6:25:15 #841555

You’re welcome Kim. Good to hear you’re going back for the 21st time!

Annika

• The thread ‘Travel Pass, half fare, or none at all?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.