Salzburg to Switzerland with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2016 at 14:12:13 #809613

Hello.

Wondering if I could get a little advice. I am flying into Salzburg for a few days, then headed to Switzerland for the rest of my vacation, and I planning on purchasing the Swiss travel pass for 8 days to use while in Switzerland. Can I use the pass to get from Salzburg to Lucerne? Or do I have to buy a separate train ticket from Salzburg to the Switzerland border at Buchs, and then get off and then use my Swiss travel pass? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 July 2016 at 14:32:41 #853809

Hi kimlewis,

Sure you can get advice here! Indeed you will need a ticket for the Austrian portion of the trip: Salzburg to Buchs SG. The Swiss Travel Pass covers the Swiss portion. There is no need to get off the train in Buchs though, unless you were planning to visit the town. You can simply buy the ticket in advance, and the pass as well (you can print it at home). Please see here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2016 at 19:15:05 #853810

Thank you so much! So I only need to buy a ticket from Salzburg to Buchs? But get on the train going to Lucerne? And then show my Swiss travel pass? Sorry for the confusion.

And thank you for the quick reply!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 July 2016 at 0:51:29 #853811

You may or may not have to change trains at Buchs. I suspect that you do not, and that your train will continue to Zürich, then (change trains) on to Luzern.

If you have purchased a Swiss Travel Pass, all you have to do is show it to a conductor in Switzerland, on any train, when asked. As Arno said…no need to get off the train.

So, buy a ticket from Salzburg to the Swiss border from Austrian railroads (etc.) and stay on the train. After Buchs (more or less) a Swiss conductor will come through, and you show him or her your Swiss Travel Pass.

Finito.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2016 at 1:07:09 #853812

Thank you!

• The thread ‘Salzburg to Switzerland with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.