Travelling to another country with Half Fare Card

Travelling to another country with Half Fare Card

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
jalcock
jalcock
5 posts
May 13, 2016 - 2:25 PM

We will be staying in Switzerland with family in June and have both purchased Half Fare Cards for travelling around.

When we leave Switzerland, we intend catching a train from Nyon to Genova in Italy. I believe we can use our Half Fare Cards as far as Domodossalo and from thereon we have to pay the full price.

How do I book our train tickets from the SBB Ticket shop, given that the train we intend catching only has changes at Lausanne and Milan? I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you for your forum. We have learned so much

Judy

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
May 14, 2016 - 10:46 AM

You're welcome Judy, I'm glad it's helpful for you! The SBB site is mainly for Swiss citizens; hence they sell tickets to people who hold the Half-Fare travelcard for Swiss citizens. This is similar, but not identical to the Swiss Half Fare Card, please see myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ details.

You can buy a discounted ticket to Domodossola at any time at any train station in Switzerland. You can buy a regular ticket from Domodossola to Milan from any of the websites listed here. These trains mostly require reservations so it's recommend to buy that ticket in advance. Where you change trains is not relevant to the tickets.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016