Family of 5, 15-day train trip across Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2023 at 13:40:19 #830570

Journal is kind of “food-forward” since we are foodies … did lots of front-end research that paid off in terms of easy logistics … everyone had a really great time.

• Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    22 August 2023 at 6:32:12 #957537

What a great trip report. I enjoyed every word and every photo, thank you! So very well done!

Anna
    6433 posts
    22 August 2023 at 6:50:57 #957538

Hi Hoffman R,

I finally finished reading your journal. I should probably warn others that this is 25-page long. But it was a good read, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Amazed with all the details you included. The pictures and illustrations certainly made it more interesting.

Glad you had a great time visiting Lausanne, Zermatt, Lucerne, Zurich and the Jungfrau region. You managed to cover all the great spots in just 15 days, luckily in good weather.

Thanks for your effort. It’s wonderful to get nice feedback like this.

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7140 posts
    22 August 2023 at 12:58:37 #957539

Hi Hoffman R,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful trip report with us. You’ve put great effort into this beautifully designed journal. I loved reading about your experiences and enjoyed the great pictures. Sounds like you had a great time, in spite of some minor casualties.

Thanks for mentioning the shops you visited during your Zurich chocolate walk by the way. I’ve added Jelmoli, Confiserie Honold and Berg und Tal to my wish list :-)!

taurus0515
    Participant
    107 posts
    22 August 2023 at 13:14:37 #957540

Wonderful Trip Report.

Regarding Hotel Baren in Wengen: We are a senior citizen couple, we have issues with steep climbs. I heard that there is a steep climb from the hotel to the station. Did you find it difficult to walk to the station? Do you know if the hotel has any transport (free)?

I have attached my itinerary for next year. Appreciate your comments.

I am also a foodie, but Vegetarian.

We are US Citizens (in Texas), of Indian origin.

I am considering these hotels:

Luzern: http://www.de-la-paix.ch/en

Wengen: http://www.arenasresorts.com/en/wengen/

Interlaken (Bonigen): en.seileraulac.ch/

Montreux: TBD

Zermatt: http://www.hotel-bristol.ch/en

last night in Zurich: Airport Hilton

Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    22 August 2023 at 13:52:33 #957541

Hoffman R

What a great journal you created to summarize your 15 day trip to Switzerland. My wife and I are also heading there in a few weeks. I think we are about the same age as each of you. Did the trip up to Jungfraujoch cause any problems to either of you because of the high altitude? Altitude sickness or trouble breathing?

Joejax

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2023 at 20:17:22 #957542

For Hotel Baren in Wengen … when you arrive at the train station there is a relatively short walk (couple hundred yards) along a paved road down the hill almost directly to the hotel. It is not “super steep”, but it is a real hill. Luggage going down with wheels is no problem. Conversely, you need to walk up the hill to get back to the train station/town. We just take our time with the walk … stop and rest when needed – nice view. Based on the walks you indicated in your itinerary, this one little hill seems like a minor warm-up. On our final day there, they took our luggage (plus one person in the cart) up to the train station (for free). On the very plus side, the food on the half-board at Baren simply cannot be beat anywhere in Wengen. If I remember correctly, I heard someone ask about vegetarian and they indicated that they always had a veggie option.

You indicated arrive in Wengen and immediately go to Lauterbrunnen … I didn’t think that Lauterbrunnen was anything special as a town (Wengen has much more character) except for the waterfall recorded in my trip journal, and if you are worried about hills you are not going to be making the trek up to the viewing point of the waterfall. Instead, drop the luggage and take the walk from the hotel to Staubbachbänkli … no hills and a great view of the valley. Then back to the hotel and rest up.

For Luzern … see my hotel recommendation … I would stay there again in a heartbeat … location vis-a-vis the train station is unbeatable.

Rick

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2023 at 20:27:42 #957543

Joejax,

We had zero problems with altitude issues … just take your time … the recommendation everyone was making was to plan your train reservation for a 2-hour stay at the top … we thought this might be too short give the potential for crowds, train delay, moving at a leisurely pace … we booked for 3 hours. Good decision! At our age, moving through the very slick ice cave was slower than others … need to be really careful there! Also, the train reservation down seemed much less stringent than going up … you can always potentially jump an earlier train down. Take lunch (sandwich) with you … you don’t want to try to eat up top.

Rick

Yolanda
    2462 posts
    23 August 2023 at 5:21:47 #957544

Dear Rick,

What an amazing trip report!!

Thank you so much – per the other readers, a great read, full of useful insights. Plus the fact that you were also traveling with a young child. This is super helpful for other travelers. Well done Malachi 🙂

I hope Pat’s leg has fully recovered now and jet lag has been kind.

Thank you again.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Yolanda
    2462 posts
    23 August 2023 at 5:24:23 #957545

Hi Annika,

You’ll have to visit soon 😉 Jemoli is set to close at the end of 2024 🙁

• The thread ‘Family of 5, 15-day train trip across Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11280 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.