Swiss Travel Pass: 1st or 2nd class, purchasing, delivery, best price

• Delraysun1
    Participant
    42 posts
    9 May 2024 at 0:20:49 #1520668

When booking my STP tickets, can I reserve seats in 1st class?

Is 1st class worth the extra fee vs 2nd class? What are the differences?

How close to departure should I buy the tickets? Are they e tickets or sent by mail?

Which website has the best prices?

Thanks !

Steve

• Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 22:19:43 #1522495

Hi Steve,

When you purchase a Swiss Travel Pass, there is no need to purchase any additional rail tickets.  You can essentially hop on and off as you wish.  The only time you would need to purchase a rail ticket (which would be discounted) is for mountain transportation. Most will have online options, just research your mountain excursions via our website and you’ll find the necessary information or feel free to reach out and ask. Yes, all will be emailed to you.

I recommend you take a read of our Swiss Travel Pass guide.  Lots of useful information, how the pass works, what’s included, a coverage map, when you will need to buy a ticket or reservation.  You’ll also find some handy online purchase options too for the pass,  scroll to “Where to buy the Swiss Travel Pass”, thereon the pass is emailed to you:

If you are a US resident, there is a one-day offer at the moment.  All information can be found here:

1st vs 2nd class is explained here:

2nd class  travel is totally fine and comfortable but if you feel like treating yourself, 1st is quieter in general and seats are larger.  If you opt with a 2nd class pass, you can still upgrade your journeys if you wish. Navigate to “Traveling in 1st class with a 2nd class pass or ticket” section in the above link.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11410 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.