Zurich-Lucerne-Bernese Oberland-Zermatt-Montreux: best rail pass?

• JBN9023
    Participant
    1 post
    9 May 2024 at 17:37:44 #1522480

My wife and myself will be in Switzerland for 18 days in September and need advice on rail passes.

Itinerary as follows:

September 9, 2024 – arrive Zurich airport at 15:40pm, then train to Lucerne and hotel

September 10, 11 – Lucerne hotel and site seeing – Lucerne self walking tour, Mt. Gigi. Stoos. Mt. Pilatus

September 12 – train from Lucerne to Wengen and hotel

September 12 through to September 19, Wengen and Berner Oberland hiking and site seeing, possibly Bern or Lake Thun if weather is bad

September 19 – check out of Wengen hotel and train to Zermatt and hotel

September 19 through to September 22 Zermatt and are hiking and site seeing – Gornergrat

September 22 – check out of Zermatt hotel and train to Vevey

September 22 through to September 26 Vevey hotel and site seeing in Vevey and Montreux area

September 26 – check out of Vevey hotel and train to Geneve airport with flight a at 12:55PM

Considering the following. I have done the spreadsheet and the prices are very similar and it appears from a convenience and flexibility point of view that the full fare ticket from Zurich airport to Lucerne, a 2 day Tell Pass, a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass and then paying for the various mountain excursions makes the most sense.

Am I missing something here? Any advice you can provide would be gratefully appreciated.

Half Fare Card CHF120

Zurich to Lucerne Fare CHF 15

2 Day Tell Pass CHF 190

8 Day Berner Oberland Pass with discount CHF 287

8 Day Swiss Travel Pass CHF 419

Sub-total CHF 1031

Alternativley

Zurich to Lucerne Fare CHF 30

2 Day Tell Pass CHF 190

15 Day Swiss Travel Pass CHF 459

Gornergrat ticket CHF 57

Rochers-de-Naye ticket CHF 36.40

Schilthorn (from Mürren) ticket CHF 42.80

Schilthorn (from Stechelberg) ticket CHF 54

Grindelwald First CHF 34

Harder Kulm CHF 19

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11420 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.