GoldenPass, Swiss trains – how do we know a seat is reserved?

• Nole01
    Participant
    15 posts
    8 April 2024 at 13:42:15 #1375676

My wife and I are traveling in April 2024 with a first class STP each. Some week be long trips (Lucerne to Interlaken, Golden Pass Express Interlaken to Montreux, and Montreux to Chiasso). If we choose a seat in 1st class without a reservation,  how do we know if sometime else may have reserved our seat at a later station, thereby having to make us move to a different seat mid trip?

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    9 April 2024 at 5:43:13 #1378542

Hi Nole,

Reserved seats in SBB trains will either have a digital display or a yellow strip above the seat to indicate they have been reserved.

On the Luzern-Interlaken Express it might be slightly different, but it will be obvious one way or another. Just look for some sort of indication on the seat or above it before sitting down.

Given the Goldenpass Express trains are brand new, I imagine they have a digital display. (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/goldenpass/)

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

Nole01
    Participant
    15 posts
    9 April 2024 at 17:57:37 #1384821

Thank you Alpenrose

This will be effective for stops later in the journey.  For example, if I get on in Lucerne and someone has reserved a seat to get on in Brienz, it will be marked in Lucerne?

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    10 April 2024 at 1:46:37 #1384829

>>> For example, if I get on in Lucerne and someone has reserved a seat to get on in Brienz, it will be marked in Lucerne?

Yes, indicators for reservations made for any part of the route will be in place before the train departs Luzern.

Hope this clarifies things!

Alpenrose

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    10 April 2024 at 2:33:23 #1384830

Hi Nole01,

In addition to Alpenrose’s helpful reply, there is additional seat reservation information in our guide below. Scroll to “How to use seat reservations”:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.