2 weeks across Switzerland by train in September 6

• Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    3 November 2023 at 1:43:40 #830952

Hello Forum folks, here is part 6 of my trip report.

Day 9: Travel day to Lucerne (to catch up to my luggage, big bag).

>>>>Tip: Just as an FYI, to anyone staying at or contemplating doing so at Hotel Edelweiss, (Wengen) they do not provide any transportation to the train station. I had to pay Chf 24.00 (the hotel picked up Chf 6.00 of that) just to go up the hill with my big bag, just to the train station. Other than that, the hotel was absolutely phenomenal. The staff, the views, the meals. Everything. They even had the TV tuned in to the mountain cams for the Schilthorn, the Jungfraujoch, and Grindelwald First, every morning when turning on the TV in my room.

That said, I had spent time exchanging my new and old laundry the night prior so I could send ‘big bag’ to Lucerne upon my arrival at the Wengen train station. Then, I set sail for Lucerne via Thun after arriving at Interlaken West and boarding a two hour (approx) cruise to Thun. That was fairly uneventful, quite relaxing, and very peaceful, except for the sadness of leaving the Jungfrau region behind. I did have some lunch on board somewhere between Speiz and Thun. I walked around Thun a little bit and then waited at the station with a nice piece of cake and coffee for the next train to Lucerne. That, too, was peaceful and uneventful. I thought about going to Bern, but decided it was too late in the afternoon, so on to Lucerne I went. I checked into my hotel, Barabas Lucern.

>>>>Tip: Barabas Lucerne is a very ecomomical hotel. It used to be a prison. (On my last trip 5 years ago, I discovered it after having reservations at another hotel, and after reading reviews on it, they said that one couldn’t enter it after 2200 hrs, so I happened across Barabas, which had just opened.) It does have a decent continental breakfast (for Chf 11). But it doesn’t have any amenities at all. If you’re looking just for a place to put your head, this is the place for you. Being how it was a prison, that is what one gets. A cell. With up to four beds. Two double deckers, one on either side of the cell (room) and very little room to maneuver. For me, it worked out since I was a solo traveler.

After checking in, I went out and strolled around, taking in the beautiful city that is Lucerne. I ate some dinner at the hotel Des Alpes (where I also stayed 5 years ago) right along the waterside overlooking Mt Pilatus in the distance. After that, I went next door to Mr Pickwicks Pub and enjoyed some beverages with Pedro and Carlos, whom I remembered from my time there 5 years ago. That was fun.

>>>>>Day 10: Stoos

This was a fun day and another one that I put my STP to work. After a Barabas breakfast, taking some early morning photos of the Kapellbrucke on my way to the train station, I boarded a train to Schwyz, via Arth-Goldau. From there, I boarded the 501 bus (towards Muotathal) to the Stoosbahnen, the steepest cable car in the world, (as of now). Once in Stoos (which itself is a village at the end of the cog railroad), there are two different chairlifts from which to choose. One goes up to Fronalpstock, and one goes to Klingenstock. I only went to Fronalpstock, which appeared to me to be closer to the water. On the way down back to Stoos, a couple on the chairlift said Klingenstock wasn’t so much different, so I decided not to go. That and the fact that it is quite a walk to get to both of the chairlifts. And they are in opposite directions. Again, Stoos is a village in and of itself, and it’s quite a walk to the chairlifts. For Fronalpstock, one just basically needs to follow the path up to the church, and the lift is at the bottom of that. I actually found it a bit hard to find (the lift) and had to ask someone. So after boarding the lift (it was in two sections), it was a beautiful, peaceful, and very pretty ride up. Lots of green pastures, cows, trails, and people walking/hiking all over. Then the summit was absolutely beautiful, seeing the several arms of Lake Lucerne, Mt Pilatus in the distance, Mt Rigi on the right, Brunnen down below. And right across the peninsula that resembles a crocodiles head. Just stunning scenery all around. So after a meal, my “Summit beer,” and many photos later, I made my way back down to Stoos. I originally had aspirations of hiking to Klingenstock, but after hiking from Eigergletscher to Kleine Scheidegg, I was a bit hesitant. So I headed back down on the funicular and bused back to the Schwyz train station.

>>>>Tip: As I previously mentioned, Stoos is the village. It’s at the top/end of the funicular. It’s also free with the STP. However, it can be deceiving that one has to pay for the chairlifts FROM Stoos to both Fronalpstock and Klingenstock. That cost is CHF 52, without the STP (26 with). I was a bit confused about that until I was at the valley station. It’s something to keep in mind.

Once back at the train station, I was a wee bit upset that the bus pulled over and just stayed at one stop for seemingly no reason, about 5-7 minutes, possibly more.. Don’t know why. I was also a bit upset that the next train back to Lucerne was about an hour later. Not wanting to wait that long (I was checking Google maps for the next boat from Brunnen while on the bus, and it was leaving in about 20-25 minutes). So I took a train one stop to Brunnen, and hoofed it down to the boat landing and just about made it. Had the bus not stopped for that long, I would have had an easier time walking to the boat. So for the next two hours, I relaxed some more among some fantastic scenery passing by the other side of Mt Rigi that I passed on the train earlier that morning. Once ‘landing’ in Lucerne, I went back to my hotel to pick up clothes, then back to the train station (taking random photos along the way) to retrieve my big bag. While there, I exchanged the clothes and sent it up to Zurich for its last major trip. (It may have had mire fun than I did for all I know..lol) Then I walked around the part of town across from the Kapellbrucke (the same side of the river as the train station) and found there is a wealth of scenery in some of the old buildings there. After a bite to eat and returning to the hotel to drop off my backpack, I once again closed down Mr Pickwicks Pub, then called it a night.

For those who have never been, Lucerne is an absolutely fantastic walking city! (As are many.) Even at night.

More to come.

Danielsan

• Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    Anna
    6390 posts
    3 November 2023 at 8:10:40 #959091

Hi Danielsan,

Once again, great write-up and thank you for sharing.

You have some amazing photos. It’s been raining and cold here these pass couple of days so it’s so wonderful to see these photos of blue skies and green landscapes.

Regards,

Anna

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    4 November 2023 at 7:55:58 #959092

Thanks Anna.

Regards,

Danielsan

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    6 November 2023 at 5:23:49 #959093

Hi Danielsan,

Another great trip report with lots of helpful information. When I changed my schedule to leave Nyon for Basel Mon 27 Nov (a day earlier than originally plannd), I had forgotten that I already bought a Saver Day Pass for Tues 28 Nov so we will add Luzern on 28th to use up the Saver Day Pass. It’s our 1st trip to Luzern.

I noticed that Pickwick Pub seems to be quite popular – judging from previous trip reports as well. Is there any particular dish you recommend?

Regards

Anna
    6390 posts
    6 November 2023 at 9:52:08 #959094

Hi traveljet,

There’s a Pickwick Pub near where I live too (Baden). It’s basically an English pub – the place to go for beers and fish and chips.

Check out the menu here: http://www.pickwick.ch

Regards,

Anna

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    6 November 2023 at 10:25:22 #959095

Hi Anna, yes I noticed a few reports mentioning their fish and chips. Oh they also have a branch in Basel where we will be staying as well. Looking forward to trying that and the one in Luzern too.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    6 November 2023 at 22:39:16 #959096

Hi Traveljet,

Thanks for taking the time to read. As for Mr Pickwicks Pub, I didn’t eat anything there, I just went in for beverages and a good time, so I’m sorry I can’t recommend any dishes. I did eat right next door, in Hotel Des Alpes’s restaurant. (Had a wonderful cordon bleu.) It is relatively small and can get crowded at night. I think it may be less busy in the daytime. They also have tables outside, but it may be too cold when you’re there later this month. Enjoy.

Regards,

Danielsan

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    7 November 2023 at 2:51:32 #959097

Hi Danielsan,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes I see it’s already snowing and the temps are now around 10degrees Celsius in Nyon, Basel and Lucerne & even zero in Zermatt. I am looking forward to seeing the peaks covered in snow😁 One more week to go before we fly!.

Regards

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    7 November 2023 at 4:36:35 #959098

Hi Traveljet,

I can only assume you are looking forward to departing next week. Based on what you’ve just said about temps, it sounds like a great start to the ski season for those who do. I believe last year wasn’t the greatest, from what I recall. Enjoy the Christmas exhibits and such. I hope your weather is good when you are there. Looking forward to your trip report when you return. Bon voyage!

Regards,

Danielsan

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    7 November 2023 at 6:21:21 #959099

Hi danielsan,

We don’t ski but will definitely enjoy seeing the peaks covered in snow in Zermatt. Weather is going to play a big part so we have sent in our request to the good Lord as always.

Thanks for the wishes and I hope we will have a trip report worth reading after our journey 😁

Regards

• The thread ‘2 weeks across Switzerland by train in September 6’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11090 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.