2 weeks across Switzerland by train in Sept-part 3

• Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    11 October 2023 at 2:38:22 #830889

Hello forum folks,

Back with part three of my trip report.

>>>>Day 3: Montreux to Zermatt.

Once again, grabbing a danish, a piece of fruit and coffee, I boarded the train to Visp, bidding my adieu to the French speaking region of Switzerland. Fairly cloudy weather enveloped most of the country (and most of Europe according to the radar). And sure enough, at Visp, I got off the train and was going to head to Sass Fee. (This is the beauty of the hop on/hop off with the STP, sans luggage…..until the weather interrupted.) When I saw that it was over an hour on the bus, combined with the overcast sky, I just decided to take the train into Zermatt. After the hour plus ride with overcast skies, I arrived a bit after 1400 hrs. Since I could check into my hotel after 1500 hrs, I found a cafe (Casa Mia, across from the station) to have a couple of welcoming beers. I went across the street to retrieve my big bag and walked it to the Hotel Phoenix, where we camped out for two nights. After checking in, I grabbed my umbrella and decided to just explore the town. Last time here, I really didn’t do so much since the weather was so good and I spent more time up on the mountains. So off I went. I had a general direction and yet no direction at all other than into the village from the hotel, which is located, I guess, in what would be the north part. This is where most of the photos were taken that I hope will come through. There was some light rain at times, but not always, so I just kept on exploring. I did pass the very old town area (more pics), and it’s unfortunate that I just didn’t have any sun to compliment it.

In the area of Grampi’s and the Brown Cow, (on Bahnhofstrasse) there is a pub named Hexen. I spent some time there, and if anyone goes to Zermatt, stop by there. The bartender, Hans, has been in Zermatt for over 30 years. If you have a question, basically…….he can answer it. He also introduced me to a local bier brewed in Zermatt called “Zermatt Bier.” That and a Cardinal amber bier. Lots of lagers found in Switzerland. I’m not an IPA fan, so I enjoyed some nice beer while there. For those beer drinkers out there, try them, you won’t be disappointed.

After that, I went down the road (Bahnhofstrasse) to Zermatterstubli for a traditional fondue. Very good! After that, I strolled back towards my hotel to drop off the everywhere bag, relaxed for a bit, then went out to close a few more pubs. Zermatt is a fantastic walking town, no matter the hour.

>>>> Day 4:

Up early to have breakfast. Then I walked big bag to the train station to send to Wengen train station and hit the road for Sunnegga/Rothorn. This was also my first glimpse of the Matterhorn from the hotel, which was nice but still not clear, as it had a seemingly permanent cloud around its neck. For the next four hours or so, it was like this. Then, the clouds hovered over the village for the remainder of the day. Fortunately, I did get some nice and some interesting pics in from Sunnegga and the Rothorn during this window.

Sunnegga to Rothorn consists of 3 stages. First is the funicular (about a 5 minute ride). Then, the continuously moving 6-8 person gondola to Blauherd.

Then, the larger cable car to Rothorn. One can get off at either one or at all three. Sunnegga has some sort of activity that looked like a childrens character of sorts. Also a nice restaurant/cafeteria from which to choose.

Blauherd is basically a launcuing point tor hiking and another restaurant that was closed. On the Rothorn, again, more launching points for hikes as well as for paraglididers. And again, a restaurant that was closed. It didn’t have the appearance that it would be open any time soon. So if anyohe does want food or beverage, Sunnegga is the place to do so if you haven’t already done so. Rothorn was nice to walk around. I did get some nice photos wit the sun shining through between clouds rolling by.

After coming down from the Rothorn, I contiplated hiking into town from Sunnegga, but I, again, just took the cable cars down. I also had a wurst and beer, prior to descending into the mostly cloud covered valley. There, I explored the village some kore. I walked from one end of the village to the other. Almost took the new cable car into Italy but found out it was not open. I didn’t quite understand the reason, but be sure to ask someone at a tourist info center if it’s running. (This was just over 2 weeks ago from now.) So I walked back towards town, taking more photos, stopping for a sorbet, a beer, and heading back towards my hotel. After that, I hunted down a live band nestled in the old town that I saw a sign for the day before while wandering around with my umbrella. It turned out to be an “open mic” night, similar to karaoke, so I sang a couple of songs, hung out with some local folks, and had a ball. The pub is called Living Room. For anyone interested, its a bit past Harrys Ski Bar (along the river). Pass Harrys (on the left), and bear right a few buildings past it, and it’s up the alley on the right. The band played inside due to the weather and again, it was fun. They have the bands from Thu-Sat. Stop in the tourist info for more fine-tune directions. “LIVINGVROOM (by UNIQUE HOTEL POST). After that we called it a night.

Regards,

Danielsan

• Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    11 October 2023 at 2:57:09 #958791

Trip report (Part 3)

A few more pics.

Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    traveljet
    Participant
    390 posts
    11 October 2023 at 3:52:04 #958793

Hi Danielsan,

The photos of Zermatt came out very well inspite of the weather not really “cooperating” at times. The one at Sunnegga was lovely. Great to read you blended in at the local pubs and basically chilled out during your trip.

Thanks for taking the trouble to write up the trip reports and pics😁

Yolanda
    2469 posts
    11 October 2023 at 6:30:36 #958794

Hi Danielsan,

Once again thanks so much for sharing such detailed travel notes and photos with the forum.

I agree with Traveljet, your photos turned out very well despite the weather.

I think it’s wonderful you mingled with the locals in Zermatt, that’s one of the best ways to get also get a feel for a country 🙂

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Chrishua
    Participant
    12 posts
    12 October 2023 at 9:24:11 #958795

Hihi, thank you for the post! Can i check if you took 1 full day to travel from montreux to zermatt or did u travel over a few days? Was it by glacier express? Thank you

Yolanda
    2469 posts
    12 October 2023 at 13:34:36 #958796

Hi Chrishua,

Our handy link to the Glacier Express below.

For a journey from Montreux to Zermatt, if you wanted to travel part of this journey by the Glacier Express you can. You would need to make your way from Montreux to Brig, in Brigyou would change trains and board the Glacier Express and continue your trip to Zermatt. All up this would take you 3 hours by train.

(Reservations are compulsory for the Glacier Express).

Do research your journey via the SBB timetable, key in Montreux to Zermatt, in the via box, key in “Brig”.

I hope this helps in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    13 October 2023 at 2:30:02 #958797

Hi Chrishua

No, I took a train straight from Montreux to Zermatt via Visp. It’s a 2.5 hr ride. You’ll read in my report how I almost went to Saas Fee on the way.

If you’re coming to Zermatt from Montreux, there’s no reason to go on the Glacier express. If you’re traveling from Zermatt towards Andermatt and points east (to Chur or St Moritz), than It’s definitely worth it. But to go from either Brig or Visp into Zermatt, save (money) on the seat reservation and just take the regular line. There is virtually no difference, and you won’t have to pay for the seat reservation for the hour plus ride it is into Zermatt. Reach out with more questions if you have.

Regards,

Danielsan

Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    13 October 2023 at 2:51:40 #958798

Thanks Yolanda.

Hi Traveljet, thanks as well.

Just wanted to mention to you that it is quite a walk from the Zermatt station to the Jagerhof hotel. I happened to stumhle across its path on my walking journey. I did see a tram/cart outside the hotel though, as many hotels in Zermatt offer rides. (Very different from the Edelwieis in Wengen). A lot is level, but the closer to the hotel, the more hilly it becomes. Also, it is on kind of a dead end. Looked beautiful though. I think you’ll enjoy it once you’re settled in though. Cheers.

Regards,

Danielsan

traveljet
    Participant
    390 posts
    13 October 2023 at 3:28:20 #958799

Hi Danielsan, you mentioned the walk to Jagerhof hotel. However, I am staying at Coeur Des Alpes and not Jagerhof. Did you stumble across Couer Des Alpes we will be in? It’s supposed to be near the Glacier Paradise station.

They will do a pickup from the station upon arrival and return.

Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    13 October 2023 at 6:51:05 #958800

Hi traveljet,

My bad, sorry about that. I didn’t see the Couer des Alpes hotel. Im glad they pick up, though. The hotels seem more accommodating in Zermatt than in Wengen. It is a bit of a walk, as you’re basically at the other end of the village from the station. But again, once you’re settled in, you should enjoy. It’s a great walking village and still has Its charm even though it’s become very “compact”, very busy, and yet beautiful at the same time.

Also, as far as the Glacier 3000 goes, I really can’t advise since it will be November. Considering it’ll take in the vicinity of 2.5 – 3 hours to get there from Nyon, it’s up to you if you want to make that trip. Nyon to Aigle is about an hour. Aigle to Les Diablerets is an hour (R24 train, adjacent to the station), and the bus to Col du Pillon is another 20 min. (That’s if you hit all the connections on time.) Also, I’m not sure if it will be open due to possible maintenance. Enjoy it if you do go for it.

Regards,

Danielsan

Chrishua
    Participant
    12 posts
    13 October 2023 at 10:32:57 #958801

Hi Danielsan,

Thank you for your advise, i couldn’t take the glacier express as it is november and they wont be operating. Someone told me the ride will be very long, like 8 hours. Can i ask what is VISP? Is it also a train ride? I will be travelling from Montreux to Zermatt. Is there anything i need to take note of if i am travelling with a kid of 12 yrs and my husband? We have big luggages. Thank you.

traveljet
    Participant
    390 posts
    13 October 2023 at 10:46:13 #958802

Hi Danielsan,

Thanks for your reply. Actually we are looking forward to getting our walking exercise during this trip as in all our other trips. So as long as the weather is not stormy, we look forward to the walks. Would be so nice to have some snow esp during the Christmas markets…to get the Advent holiday mood. The weather in Singapore is often hot and so humid (average 31C-34C) all year round so that’s why we take advantage of the Spring or autumn or early winter temperatures overseas.

I have done my homework via the Sbb app regarding Glacier 3000. It is open at that time but I will likely give it a miss. Hopefully the week that we will be in Zermatt will give us the opportunity to enjoy the peaks – we usually give ourselves more leeway with a longer stay because of weather uncertainty. This time we will be staying 8N in Zermatt so we can take our time. Hotel Couer Des Alpes has very good reviews and we hope it stays that way.

I usually take around 8mths to a year to plan for a holiday overseas as we usually take up 2-3 weeks. As we aren’t getting younger and are entering our 70’s soon, we better travel since we are still able to deal with 12hr flights and time zones. Switzerland remains our top spot due to it’s beauty, people, safety and amazing mt rides and trains. Not so keen on the rest of Europe anymore, due to safety issues. I am not sure whether this 5th trip next month will be our last one to Switzerland.

Our other favourite destination is Japan😁which is around 6hrs away from Singapore.

Best regards.

• The thread ‘2 weeks across Switzerland by train in Sept-part 3’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11330 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.