9 days in Switzerland early May: itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 23:16:42 #819436

Hi Guys,

Based on my previous post in this forum where I wanted some advice on how to plan my trip for Switzerland, after a bit of research I have come up with a following itinerary. Thank you for guiding me in the previous post.

Our Honeymoon trip would be a 8N/9D trip where we land at Zurich and take off from Zurich.

Day 01: Today arrival at Zurich Airport, then take a train to Zermatt. rest of the day at leisure as the flight timings unknown. Overnight in Zermatt.

Day 02: Visit Mighty Matterhorn. Highest peak of Swiss with cable cars and other snow activities there at peak. Later just roam around in the beautiful scenic village of Zermatt. Overnight in Zermatt.

Day 03: Take a train for Interlaken. Visit Ballenberg Swiss Open Air Museum in Brienz and then take a ride on Lake Brienz Cruise. Overnight stay in Interlaken.

Day 04: full day excursion to Mt. Jungfrau. First from Interlaken Ost via Grindelwald or Wengen to the Kleine Scheidegg, at the foot of the famous Eiger North Wall. Then by Jungfrau Railway via the Eiger Glacier to the Jungfraujoch . Overnight in Interlaken.

Day 05:, Proceed to Geneva and Montreux cities by train from Interlaken. See

UN Headquarter and Jet d’eau water fountain and then take a cruise to come to Montreux and see Chillon Castle in Montreux. If time permitted, visit Lausanne to see Olympic museum and Charlie Chaplin house. Overnight in Interlaken.

Day 06: Take a train to Lucerne. Take a city tour of Lucerne on own. See the Old Town, the Lion Monument, The Chapel Bridge, & The Water Spikes. Also a boat ride takes you to Vitnau across Lake Lucerne and Mt. Rigi, Overnight in Lucerne.

Day 07: Visit Engelberg . excursion to Mt. Titlis

A ride in the world‐famous Rotair takes you to Titlis. Take a walk on the exciting Titlis Cliff Walk. Enjoy a ride on the Ice Flyer Chairlift. Later descent to Engelberg Village and visit the Monastery and Show Cheese Dairy. Overnight in Lucerne.

Day 08: board train to Zurich city. Visit the Rhine Falls While the Rhine Falls are not known for their height, their width is spectacular.. Overnight stay at Zurich.

Day 09: Depart Zurich

Based on my Itinerary, I have a few Questions?

I know I would ideally want to spend at least two weeks, but given the time constraint, is this itinerary good for a couple going on a honeymoon ?

2. Have I missed something that is worth watching/doing ?

3. If you look at the itinerary I am staying at Interlaken for 3 days. Can I visit another place and keep Interlaken for 2 days instead of 3 Days? if yes please suggest us some places. I just realised that I haven’t put Glacier express in my Itinerary. Can I go to St. Mortiz for that extra day that I take out from Interlaken?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

• Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    11 January 2019 at 7:15:59 #901889

Hi Jolly123,

Your itinerary makes sense. I went myself to Klein Matterhorn in May or June 2018. Your day 5 is overambitious in my opinion, starting and ending at Interlaken according to your plan. The Lake cruise is a great idea, but you may want to consider spending the night between days 4-5 in Geneva, or the next night in Montreux. And skip the UN visit, you might be disappointed although I have no idea of your tastes and interests.

On your questions:

1. –

2. You will miss plenty but in your time bracket your itinarary is fine.

3. St Moritz is at the other end of the country. My modest advice is that you skip it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 10:17:42 #901890

Hi Jolly123,

A fair bit of traveling on a honeymoon (for me anyway!) I like to relax more and would keep it to 2 base towns and only visit areas nearby… But mostly it is doable – be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your day and see if it is too busy or not for you. Day 5, as noted by Snowman has too much planned. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Also, note you aren’t visiting the Matterhorn itself – it is the Klein Matterhorn I think you are referring to: http://www.myswissalps.com/kl einmatterhorn

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2019 at 7:17:11 #901891

Hi Snowman and Lucas,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate it. What you said in your respective post makes sense. But just looking at the whole itenary on general, i have evenly distributed my nights in Lucene, Interlaken and Zermat. I have a night in Zurich. But for the remaining 1 night where can I stay? Keeping in mind that i would prefer an excursion over the UN visit as Snowman Mentioned. If you look at the itinerary, i have covered few excursions. But have I left any that i should not miss?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2019 at 7:19:18 #901892

As Snowman mentioned spending a night in Geneva or Montruex, which one would you advise me over the other?

Thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 January 2019 at 7:26:43 #901893

Montreux. It’s classy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2019 at 0:00:12 #901894

Thank you rockoyster.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2019 at 1:16:12 #901895

Hi Guys,

Based on my previous post in this forum and the comments, I have revised my itinerary, which is:

Day 01: Arrive Zurich at 6:45 AM. Head to Zermatt. Take some rest and head to Gornergrat. Overnight Stay in Zermatt.

Day 02: Visit Klein Matterhorn. After that explore Zermatt town . Overnight in Zermatt.

Day 03: Take a train for Interlaken. Visit Ballenberg Swiss Open Air Museum in Brienz and then take a ride on Lake Brienz Cruise. Overnight stay in Interlaken.

Day 04: Excursion to Mt. Jungfrau. Explore Interlaken. Overnight in Interlaken.

Day 05:, Proceed to Montreux. See Chillon Castle . Overnight in Montreux.

Day 06: Take a train to Lucerne. Take a city tour of Lucerne on own. See the Old Town, the Lion Monument, The Chapel Bridge, & The Water Spikes. Take a boat ride to Vitnau across Lake Lucerne. Mt. Rigi Excursion. Overnight in Lucerne.

Day 07: Excursion to Mt. Titlis. Overnight in Lucerne

Day 08: Arrive Zurich. Visit the Rhine Falls and explore the city. Overnight stay at Zurich.

Day 09: Depart Zurich

Based on my Itinerary, My Questions are:

1. Is the Itinerary good enough for a couple travelling for first time in Switzerland? If you think it is a bit too much, what can be amend from this Itinerary?

2. On Day 3: Is there an alternative to Ballenberg Swiss Open Museum?(Not really a fan of museums) If there is an alternative, what can be done keeping in view that there is a lake Brienz cruise on the same day.

3.On Day 4: Should we explore Interlaken town first and then head to Jungfrau Excursion or it should be the other way round?

4. On Day 5: What else can we do apart from Visiting Chillion Castle. Was thinking of either a boat ride or the Glacier 3000. Don’t know if that can be done in the same day and if Yes would it be too hectic?

5. On Day 6: If the day seems too Hectic, what can be combined with Mt. Rigi Excursion?

Thank you for reading this. I really appreciate your time.

I am looking forward to hearing from you..

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    21 January 2019 at 8:13:24 #901896

1. IMMO it’s too much, but I base my judgement on my own tastes, preferences and feelings. Some people want to see as much as possible, considering it may be a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Others might want to relax also, like, say, if they are on a honemoon trip… Don’t get fooled by the fact that Switzerland is smaller than one third of the state of Pennsylvania and has an excellent public transport system. You want to visit places and have meals, etc., between your train rides.

2. Ballenberg : the emphasis is more on “open air” than on “Museum”. There are two entrances, some kilometers apart. You ideally enter one, exit the other. In between, you’ll see old Swiss farmhouses, chalets and other buildings that have been brought there from all over Switzerland. The place is not too crowded. It’s a relaxing “museum” visit.

3. Go to Jungfraujoch as early as possible, to avoid peak crowds. Stay on the top during at least 2 hours. Interlaken town has no major attraction.

4. Again, I don’t know your tastes and interests. I would see the Freddy Mercury statue near the Lake, take a tour on a lake steamer (change ship at Chillon), and, since I would already have seen Jungfraujoch, I would forget about G3000.

5. Too hectic, as you say. Skip the lion monument, at least.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 23:41:42 #901897

Thank You Snowman for providing me with these suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,

Sudeep

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2019 at 5:07:07 #901898

Thank you for sharing your itinerary. I’m planning a 10-day trip for early May and am struggling to narrow it down. This is a great help!

• The thread ‘9 days in Switzerland early May: itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.