Lucerne and Interlaken in May – bad weather options

• alad
    Participant
    35 posts
    8 April 2024 at 11:05:34 #1374515

Hello,

I’ll be spending 3 nights in Lucerne and 9 nights in Interlaken starting from May 20th. While I understand that this topic has been discussed extensively before, I kindly request suggestions for activities in case of bad weather (cloudy, rainy, very bad weather). I have the following list, but I’m seeking additional recommendations:

In Lucerne:

• Exploring Lucerne city & old town
    • Taking a ferry on Lake Lucerne from Lucerne to Flüelen/Brunnen and return by train
    • Zurich Half-Day City Tour with Cruise and Lindt Home of Chocolate (rainy day)

In Interlaken:

• Day trip to Gstaad
    • Exploring Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald, Gimmelwald (suitable for cloudy days)
    • Taking a ferry on Lake Thun and exploring Bern city
    • Taking a ferry on Lake Brienz

I’m actually not fully sure if lake excursions can be done during rain or not.

Thank you for your assistance!

Amol

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    9 April 2024 at 4:21:29 #1378535

Hi alad,

For Luzern, please see these suggestions:

https://www.myswissalps.com/community/thread/comments-on-our-detailed-17-day-itinerary-in-sep/#post-1326535

https://www.myswissalps.com/community/thread/comments-on-our-detailed-17-day-itinerary-in-sep/#post-1327999

Lake boats do run in the rain. Visibility can vary depending on fog, how low the cloud cover is and how quickly the clouds are moving. In the course of an hour-and-a-half or longer, visibility and rainfall can sometimes change quite a bit too – either for better or worse!

I understand from a previous post that you will have a 2nd class Swiss Travel Pass. In that case, I would not hesitate to take a boat ride in the rain, as it wouldn’t cost any extra. Personally, I find that just being on the boat and calling in to small villages along the way is enjoyable, especially if the restaurant is operating.

Museums are a good indoor option if needed. You can get a list of museums that are free with the Swiss Travel Pass here:

https://www.museumspass.ch/en/where-to-use-my-museum-pass/

Hope this is useful!

Alpenrose

Anna
    6390 posts
    9 April 2024 at 14:40:43 #1384815

Hi Alad,

I agree with Alpenrose – museums are good indoor options during a rainy day.

Here are more suggestions to add to your Lucerne list:

Regards,

Anna

alad
    Participant
    35 posts
    10 April 2024 at 12:14:24 #1388788

Thank you very much Alpenrose, Anna for your suggestions. I’ve added them in my list.

Thanks again

Amol

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    10 April 2024 at 16:55:01 #1395625

Hello Amol,

In addition to the helpful replies. If you like your museums, there are many in Zurich.  Museum Rietberg in Zurich has interesting exhibitions (in my opinion) and if you are football fan, there is the FIFA Football Museum too.

I also think Zurich Zoo is well done and the rain forest section is covered.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

alad
    Participant
    35 posts
    10 April 2024 at 17:18:22 #1396179

Thank you very much Yolanda, Anna, Alpenrose. Any suggestions for bad weather option when I am staying in Interlaken?

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    10 April 2024 at 17:53:39 #1397073

Hi Amol,

Whilst in Interlaken, some options below:

• you could visit the Ballenberg Swiss Open-Air Museum (free with your Swiss Travel Pass)
    • the St. Beatus caves
    • Aare Gorge

Do use the Swiss timetable to plan / research the journey times.  (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/public-transport/timetable/)

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.