St. Bernard dogs in Zermatt/Gornergrat

• Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    20 October 2019 at 1:16:39 #824262

Hi, anybody have information on the Saint Bernard dogs in Zermatt/Gornergrat?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    20 October 2019 at 6:35:38 #923964

Hello Thequine,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

The St. Bernard dogs are no longer available in Zermatt/Gornergrat or Sunnegga peaks with the Matterhorn in the background since 2015. The Swiss Animal Protection association and the local council took the decision to ban the animals from participating in photo shoots with tourists. The St. Bernards were subjected to abusive living and working conditions.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Annika
    7142 posts
    20 October 2019 at 16:19:14 #923965

Hi Thequine! In addition to Suzanne’s information, I’d like to mention Barryland, a St. Bernard museum in Martigny. That’s at about 2 hours of train traveling from Martigny though, so I’m not sure if it fits your plans. You can have a look at http://www.barryland.ch for more information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    20 October 2019 at 23:19:57 #923966

Thank you for your response.😊

• The thread ‘St. Bernard dogs in Zermatt/Gornergrat’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11410 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.