Bernina Express Chur to Pontresina?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2017 at 14:43:50 #813252

Hi everyone,

I’m travelling to Switzerland in a couple of weeks time. One leg of our trip is on Fri 29th Sept, when I’ll be taking the train from Luzern to Pontresina. (I have purchased a Swiss Travel Pass).

I have been trying to search for the train timetables, and the only one leaving Chur that day seems to be train number 951 leaving Chur at 8.32am. Is this correct? Are there no other later departures from Chur that day with the panoramic cars? If so, then it’ll be too early to leave Luzern around 6.30am!

I’m also having trouble interpreting the timetables on the SBB website. I can’t figure out which of the departure options have a panoramic car.

If 8.32am departure is the only Bernina Express leaving Chur that day, then I’m considering just taking a regular train that day, and then look at booking a panoramic car on the Glacier Express trip to Zermatt a couple of days later.

Your thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

Regards

Colin

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2017 at 17:56:20 #869777

Hi Colin,

While the Bernina Express runs on that route on the way to Tirano, it isn’t a commuter train with too many stops along the way, such as Pontresina. On the timetable the Bernina Express panoramic trains are noted as BEX. The other trains listed are the regional trains which follow the same route but don’t have panoramic windows (some people prefer these trains though as windows can often be opened).

I would take a regional train that day that best suits your schedule and as you mention, enjoy the Glacier Express to Zermatt.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 6:32:07 #869778

Hi Lucas,

Many thanks for your reply, it makes a lot more sense now.

Cheers

Colin

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 September 2017 at 6:43:46 #869779

Hi Colin,

Not sure what you are doing when you get to Pontresina. Are you then going on to St Moritz to catch the Glacier Express of are you going back to Chur? Either way you might want to have a read through this thread (and especially Alpenrose’s contributions about going via Davos and Landquart) if you want to avoid backtracking over the same ground. http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/chur-to-st-moritz-via-davos It might give you some more ideas/options.

Cheers,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 7:28:54 #869780

Thanks Rockoyster, will have a look at that thread. Our current plan is to train from Luzern to Pontresina (haven’t thought about a different route yet as you suggested), staying in Pontresina for 2 nights and plan to have a look around St Mouritz +/- Samedan for a day, then take the Glacier Express to Zermatt.

Cheers

Colin

• The thread ‘Bernina Express Chur to Pontresina?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.