Bernina Express,St. Moritz to Lugano transport

• Garyleunghy
    Participant
    9 posts
    15 May 2018 at 10:58:13 #815985

I’m planning to take Bernina Express from St. Moritz to Lugano on 15 Jun 18. I will use STP, is it free for train from St. Moritz to Tirano (will pay for Seat Reservation)? From Tirano to Lugano have to take bus, is it free for STP holder? Is seat reservation require for that bus? Thank you.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2018 at 14:58:31 #885249

Hi Garyleunghy,

The Bernina Express is free for Swiss Travel Pass holders, but you need to reserve your seats and pay for that. The bus is for free as well and again you need to book your seats in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 2:09:43 #885250

Hi Gary,

>> From Tirano to Lugano have to take bus, is it free for STP holder? Is seat reservation require for that bus?

Yes, the bus trip is free with the Swiss Travel Pass, but the compulsory reservation costs CHF 14. If you have not already made your reservation for the bus, I would do it immediately, as there is only one seat left.

http://www.rhb.ch/en/tickets-travelcards/bernina-express-booking/bernina-express

Furthermore, there are only 4 seats left on the Bernina Express train from St Moritz to Tirano. As you would expect, all the window seats have already been taken. You could consider taking a regional train instead – no reservations required.

Alpenrose

Garyleunghy
    Participant
    9 posts
    16 May 2018 at 6:51:27 #885251

Thank you for reply regarding only 1 seat available for Express Bus from Tirano to Lugano on 15 Jun 2018. I’ve checked online there’s only 1 seat left in Coach 1. I will travel with my wife, may I ask if it’s possible that Express Bus will have Coach 2 on 15 Jun 2018 after Coach 1 is full. Thank you.

Furthermore, besides that Express Bus, are there other transportation can take us to Lugano on 15 Jun 18. thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 9:09:33 #885252

>> I’ve checked online there’s only 1 seat left in Coach 1. I will travel with my wife, may I ask if it’s possible that Express Bus will have Coach 2 on 15 Jun 2018 after Coach 1 is full.

I don’t think so. If you try to reserve 2 seats now, it doesn’t roll over to another coach, so my guess is that that’s the last available seat for that date. But you could keep trying over the next few days and see what happens.

>> besides that Express Bus, are there other transportation can take us to Lugano on 15 Jun 18. thank you.

According to the Swiss Timetable, it seems the only other option to get from Tirano to Lugano is to backtrack by train to Thusis and get the PostBus from Thusis to Bellinzona (reservations compulsory and free), then train to Lugano. That will add an extra 6-7 hours journey time to your day.

Another alternative you have is to forget about the Bernina Express for this day, and get the Palm Express PostBus from St Moritz to Lugano instead. That is a very scenic bus trip, especially going down the Maloja Pass, through the Bregaglia Valley and along the shores of Lake Como and Lake Lugano.

The Palm Express Postbus runs once daily from St Moritz at 12:20 and reservations are compulsory (and free). You can make reservations here:

http://www.postauto.ch/en/exc ursion-tips/palm-express

If you are spending long enough in St Moritz, you could do a return trip on the Bernina Express between St Moritz and Tirano another day.

Alpenrose

Garyleunghy
    Participant
    9 posts
    16 May 2018 at 10:13:10 #885253

Thank you again for your reply and suggestion. May I ask is it free for Swiss Travel Pass holder to take the Palm Express PostBus from St. Moritz to Lugano. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2018 at 10:16:31 #885254

>> is it free for Swiss Travel Pass holder to take the Palm Express PostBus from St. Moritz to Lugano

Yes. You can download a map from the link below, showing what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

As explained in the legend on the map:

• Red lines are trains, yellow lines are buses, black lines are cable cars, white lines are boats.
    • Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted.
    • Discounts are mostly 50%, but only 25% for transport where you see the number “1” inside circle near the dotted line.
    • There are a few grey lines on the map as well, which indicate transport that is not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.
    • Dashed red lines on the map are railway tunnels, all of which are on routes that are free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Alpenrose

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 May 2018 at 11:23:56 #885255

I’d be surprised if the trains from Tirano to Lugano via Milano wouldn’t operate. They’re not in the timetable yet, but that can change in the next weeks. That would be the quickest alternative to the Express bus. Most of that route is not included in the Swiss Travel Pass though, but it shouldn’t be overly expensive.

• The thread ‘Bernina Express,St. Moritz to Lugano transport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.