Berner Oberland Pass and/or Swiss Half Fare Card for 15 day trip?

• MDSwan
    Participant
    1 post
    20 April 2024 at 23:16:50 #1436292

Hi all – my wife and I will be in Switzerland for 15 days. First 5 days in Wilderswil where we’ll mainly be doing interlaken, bern, Ballenberg in brienz, lucern. And then final 10 days will be Grindelwald and Gimmelwald and points all around. The 10 day BO pass seems like a no-brainer for those final 10 days. Does the Half Fare make sense for the first 5? Any other combo or option I’m missing? Thanks in advance!

• Yolanda
    2486 posts
    21 April 2024 at 17:34:43 #1436675

Hi MDSwan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Thanks for sharing your plans – some nice choices.

The investment of both Berner Oberland Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card is a popular combination.  If you wanted to be sure, it’s best to carry out some maths based on daily plans to see if its of benefit.  We have a guide to assist with this, thereon the best rail pass is displayed. Here’s the link:

Should you need any online purchase options for either passes, you can find some in the below links:

If you do purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card, you would receive a 30% discount on the purchase of your Berner Oberland Pass.

All your listed destinations are included in the Berner Oberland Pass. I’d say if you are planning on using the transportation a lot throughout your 15 days, it could be worth purchasing two Berner Oberland Passes – 1 x 10 day +  1 x 4 or 6 days?  Again best to carry out some calculations to see what would work out most economical.

I hope this gets you started.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11390 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.