Mürren, Schilthorn – cable car maintenance in April 2025

• Joni
    Participant
    1 post
    25 March 2024 at 18:42:09 #1315107

Hello,

We are planning to visit Europe in April next year, and learning about rail maintenance is a game changer. My questions are:

• Do you know when the maintenance schedule will be for Murren BLM and Schilthorn (Stechelberg – Gimmelwald – Mürren – Birg – Schilthorn) next year? When do the exact dates come out?
    • With the completion of the upgrade on the BLM Murren and the Schilthorn (Stechelberg – Gimmelwald – Mürren) this year, will there still be maintenance schedule next year and will they be around the same time?

We plan to stay in Lauterbrunnen and our planned hikes for our two-day stay in the region are:

• Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg
    • Murren-Gimmelwald
    • Grutschalp-Murren

What are the alternate ways of getting around when the rail maintenance is in place?

Thanks for your help.

Joni

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    344 posts
    26 March 2024 at 7:26:36 #1315132

Hi Joni, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m not sure about the maintenance period for the cable car and train Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp-Mürren for next year. I have not been there since 2019, but I understand that the railway has been rebuilt in the meantime. Even if the railway no longer needs to close for maintenance, I imagine the cable car will still need maintenance periods.

The exact dates will be known at the latest by mid-October 2024, when the timetables for the 2025 year are released.

When the train is not running from Grütschalp, you can get to Mürren via the cable car from Stechelberg.  There’s a bus that runs from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg.

If you wanted to do the walk between Mürren and Grütschalp while the train was not running, you would have to walk in both directions. If you wanted a shorter walk, you could walk as far as Winteregg (which is about half way) and then return the way you came. The restaurant at Winteregg might not be open though, if the train is not running. Note that trail conditions might not be ideal for walking at that time either (some snow and/or muddy sections).

From 15 March 2025, the cable car Stechelberg-Mürren-Schilthorn will operate 365 days a year.

The Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg walk is available all year, as is the Mürren-Gimmelwald walk.

Hope this helps with your planning!

Alpenrose

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    26 March 2024 at 12:23:31 #1320202

The whole of the Stechelberg to Schilthorn via Murren and Birg is being replaced but will largely be open for business while the work is going on. The main exception is the top link between Birg and Schilthorn which will be closed next winter 24/25.

See https://schilthornbahn20xx.ch/en/Info/Planning_Schedule for details.

Andrew

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    27 March 2024 at 2:20:49 #1322169

Hello MySwissAlps, I saw this post today and it has me worried…I will be in Lauterbrunnen area 2nd week of April 2024. I am planning to take cable car from Lauterbrunnen up to Grutschalp and then the train to Murren and cable car up to Brig and Schilthorn returning down to Brig and Murren but then cable car to Gimmelwald and down to valley floor at Stechelburg. Is all of this open during April 14th 2024?

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    344 posts
    27 March 2024 at 5:54:41 #1322170

Hi Steve,

Nothing to worry about!

All the transport you intend to use on 14 April 2024 will be operating.

The spring maintenance closure for the Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp-Mürren route will be from 6 May until 31 May 2024, so that won’t affect you.

For the Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren-Birg-Schilthorn route, the spring maintenance period will be from 22 April until 26 April 2024, so that won’t affect you either.

The funicular from Mürren to Allmendhubel won’t be operating between 8 April and 17 May 2024, but as that is not part of your plan, that won’t matter to you.

Hope you have great weather for your trip to Mürren and the Schilthorn with your friends!

Alpenrose

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    27 March 2024 at 7:42:15 #1322174

Hi Joni & Steve,

In addition to all the helpful information above, you’ll find for many of the mountain excursions, dedicated sections, aptly named “Operation dates, schedules and timetable” with all the necessary information.  For example, Schilthorn:  https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/schilthorn/#dates

The Swiss timetable will also serve as a useful tool for planning purposes too. Here’s the link:  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/public-transport/timetable/

Kind regards,

Yolanda

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    28 March 2024 at 5:15:08 #1335996

Thank you Yolanda!!!

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    28 March 2024 at 14:49:29 #1337744

Thank you Alpenrose!!!

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.