Can we travel with two ski bags on Swiss trains?

• shannatoth
    Participant
    2 posts
    1 February 2018 at 3:16:21 #814210

We are a family of four and will be traveling with two duffel bags and two ski bags for 10 days. We are flying into Zurich, then traveling to Grindelwald, Wengen, Beatenberg, Zermatt, and Luzern, before heading back to Zurich to fly home. Since our travel schedule is fairly tight, we won’t have time to ship our luggage from point to point, which takes one full or two days.

Can we carry these items on the train, and is there room on the trains in the overhead and side compartments? Our two ski bags are less than 50lbs and are on wheels.

We prefer to take trains rather then rent a car, but I’m wondering if it’s feasible?

Thank you,

Shanna

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2018 at 7:08:22 #875454

Hi Shanna and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There is the same-day Express luggage service that could work for you.

That being said there is storage room on trains for bags and skis yes. There is overhead space (possible fitting small ski bags as well as luggage racks i each carriage.

I can’t guarantee that there aren’t other people doing the same thing (and limiting the room) but you’ll find space somewhere on the train with you surely.

cam223
    Participant
    97 posts
    1 February 2018 at 15:01:25 #875455

The 4 of us traveled in late November with 2 long snowboard bags on wheels, 4 large suitcases and 2 carryons. We had first class passes–there was room for everything but the trains weren’t crowded.

We had to have all the luggage because we had business meetings in Paris before we traveled to Switzerland. The snowboard bags were able to go overhead above the seats and the large suitcases were stored in the luggage compartments in each train car. I guess it all depends on how many people are also on the train with you and the amount of luggage that they are carrying.

Our largest problem was getting a taxi at the main train station in Zurich. None of them were equipped to handle our long, snowboard bags and there wasn’t anyone to help us at the taxi stand. This was the only place where we had issues. We ended up walking the snowboard bags to the hotel. In Zermatt the electric cars/taxis are equipped with racks on the roofs so your skis or snowboard bags can easily go above.

• The thread ‘Can we travel with two ski bags on Swiss trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.