Rail pass for 4 days in Zurich & 4 days in Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 11:01:07 #814084

which pass is most relevant for 4 days in zurich and then 4 days in murren area , at the beginning of february? can i use rail pass for tranportation within the city of zurich? will the pass be cost efficient considering travel to and from airport and then local time and activities in murren area including minimal skiing?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 January 2018 at 18:56:48 #874632

Hi Leora and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss Travel Pass would cover most of what you are planning to do (probably though we don’t know your exact plans so I can’t say for sure). Have a look at what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here. It covers your city travel as well as your train trips. The more trips you make the more cost effective it becomes.

To know what pass is the most cost effective for you, You need to plan out all your trips for 8 days and do the math. Help can be found here: how to choose the best rail pass.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2018 at 2:11:11 #874633

Hello leora,

Do you have some special desire to spend 4 days in Zurich? Most people head straight to Lucerne where there is much more to do (for tourists) and it is closer to the Alps. See http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Also have a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion for your stay in the Mürren area.

As well as the Swiss Travel Pass that Lucas mentioned there are many reigonal passes (http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpasses) which can work depending on where you are based and how much travel you plan.

The Swiss Travel Pass would not be cost-effective for just travelling aorund Zurich. If you stick with the idea of staying in Zurich for 4 days you should look at http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich/travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 January 2018 at 16:15:12 #874634

thank you for your replies

the reason for the the 4 day stay in zurich is that i am attending a conference, after which i am heading up to the alps ( my husband will join me there).

so will the transfer pass help us to get all the way to the town of Murren and also around that entire area?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 January 2018 at 19:43:55 #874635

By “Transfer Pass” do you mean the Swiss Travel Pass as mentioned by Lucas? If so then yes it will, pretty much. Just have a look at area of validity Lucas linked to.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 8:58:29 #874636

Are you now speaking of the Swiss Transfer Ticket? You could use that to get to/from Zurich airport and Murren yes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 12:08:54 #874637

does the swiss transfer pass get us all the way to murren? ( need to use cable car, right?)

and what about getting around murren and other sights there?

Arno
    15485 posts
    21 January 2018 at 15:14:56 #874638

Hi Leora,

I strongly recommend to use the exact pass name when asking your questions. That prevents confusion and incorrect answers. A Swiss Transfer Pass does not exist. A Swiss Transfer Ticket and Swiss Travel Pass do exist, but are two different products. Both cover the ride to Mürren including the cable car. Please see the links here in my post and in earlier posts to learn about all details of each pass. You’ll find a coverage map there too.

If any questions remain, please let us know!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 6:46:33 #874639

will try my best….

how are the days counted for the validity of the swiss travel pass? is it clocked exactly from the hour on the first day you use the pass or is it valid untul the end of the last day of the pass?

in other words, , if i start using the pass at 12 noon on train from zurich to alps, can i still use it to get back to zurich until midnite on the 4 th day?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2018 at 6:58:17 #874640

Hi Leora,

It isn’t counted by the hour no. If you start your first day on Feb.1 an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is valid from Feb.1 until 5am on Feb.9 (in case you take an late night train on Feb.8).

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2018 at 18:12:04 #874641

we will be in murren for 4 full days ( and still have to get back to zurich on the 5th day). we will be skiing part but not all of the time and will want to do other things there. should we get the 4 day ( c0nsecutive) swiss travel pass or the 3 ( non consecutive) swiss travel pass flex? in other words, is there enough to do in murren where e wont need to use the passes at all ( for ont to two days)?

appreciate your help and advice

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2018 at 10:11:19 #874642

If you are mostly skiing while in Murren you could get away without needing a rail pass for a day yes. But if you want to explore the area and other villages like Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or Grindelwald on a non-ski day then you may want a rail pass – but tickets to those towns are relatively cheap.

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 4 days in Zurich & 4 days in Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11220 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.