Currency and language in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2018 at 0:18:13 #818240

We will be in Zurich for 2 days in December and the rest of the time in countries that use the Euro. Our accommodation and travel is prepaid so we don’t want to carry a lot of Swiss Francs. We would like to know if the Euro is acceptable in Switzerland and if not, are there easily accessible money changing places?

As for the language, my German is not too good as I left Germany 64 years ago so my question is – Do many people speak English in cafes, shops etc or will I have to do a crash course in German?

• Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    6 September 2018 at 5:51:56 #895747

The Currency in Switzerland is the Franc. Euros (notes only) is accepted at many places. The rate is defined by the salesman, and change is returned in coins. Credit cards are accepted almost everywhere, sometimes a minimum purchase of CHF 20 is required for credit card payment.

So many tourists struggle their way in English or othe languages that you should not have any problem.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2018 at 6:05:58 #895748

Thank you so much Snowman, you have been a great help! This is a wonderful site, very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2018 at 6:26:44 #895749

Hi Carmen and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Have a read through our page on the Swiss Franc here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issfranc

Note smaller shops may not take Euros (or have a high minimum spend as Snowman notes with Euros or credit card/debit card- so always keep some Francs on you. I’d just withdraw some at an ATM once you are in country.

English will be ok in all but the smallest towns or smaller, local restaurants outside of the downtown core.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 September 2018 at 7:55:31 #895750

You may find this page helpful too Carmen: http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/culture history/languages

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 September 2018 at 2:01:18 #895751

Hallo Carmen,

I think that you will have absolutely no problems communicating during your two days in Zurich. Depending on how old you were when you left Germany back in 1954, you may be surprised how much it will come back if you give it a try. Of course, the German you spoke back then in Germany is not the Swiss-German you would have known had you lived in Switzerland way back then. Bottom line: Not to worry at all. I like Lucas’ advice on getting extra Swiss Francs from ATMs.

• The thread ‘Currency and language in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.