Are euros accepted in Switzerland, how much cash to bring for holiday?

• andym98
    Participant
    14 posts
    5 May 2024 at 10:30:56 #1496877

I know the Swiss Franc is the local currency, but can we also use Euros? Our trip is for 18 days and we tend to use credit cards. How much cash (CHF or euros) would you recommend traveling with?

Thanks, Andy

• Anna
    6465 posts
    6 May 2024 at 20:33:37 #1501219

In some shops, you can pay in Euros but this is not always possible. Payment by cards is widely accepted. However if you are visiting remote places or small towns it’s advisable to have some cash with you. For further tips and insights please have a look at this link: https://www.myswissalps.com/planning/practical/swiss-franc/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Danielsan
    Participant
    648 posts
    9 May 2024 at 4:32:56 #1520674

Hi andy,

One of the most important things you want to do is to make sure you don’t incur any foreign exchange fees on your cards if you haven’t already done so. I spent two weeks both this past September and 5 years ago, also in Sept. I used my card(s) for all my hotels, a lot of sweatshirts and the like, some on food. I used cash for a majority of my food and any pubs that I may have shut down. It lasted for my whole trip. When I started running low, I just used the card more, but I always wanted at least some Francs on me. Some shops (as mentioned by Anna), smaller ones that may be in some train stations (mostly souvenir shops), may only take cash. So, if you may want that small key chain or that little trinket, it may be good to have some cash on hand. Have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Yolanda
    2486 posts
    9 May 2024 at 7:24:18 #1520681

Hi Andy,

To add, if you pay for items in Euros (cash), you will receive your change in Swiss francs.

As Danielsan advises, check with your bank on the fees in regard to cash withdrawals.  Sometimes they can be quite high.

As for an amount, some travelers bring 50 and find it’s sufficient. Others bring 200 and also find it’s more than enough.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11390 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.