Drive Zermatt to Menaggio – Simplon pass?

• PlymouthGus
    Participant
    24 posts
    24 May 2023 at 13:35:03 #829914

Hi again, planning to drive from Zermatt to Menaggio Sept.10 and google maps says I take a car train around Simplon- autoverlad simplon car train (40 min.). Tried to google this but cannot find out if I can just drive over the pass (maybe 1 hour?) instead of having to take a car train. Kinda lost.

• Yolanda
    2387 posts
    24 May 2023 at 15:30:32 #954698

Hello PlymouthGus,

If the Simplon route is open, then you will be able to drive through and not have to take the car train.

Here is the handy link that will advise if open or closed: https://alpen-paesse.ch/en/

Additional driving link for Switzerland, see here for tips and essentials when driving here:

One more thing, a reminder that Zermatt is car-free, you would have to park your car in nearby Täsch.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

PlymouthGus
    Participant
    24 posts
    24 May 2023 at 15:41:56 #954699

You’re a life saver, Yolanda. I must have spent an hour googling this and reading every site you can imagine. ONLY myswissalps had the answer. Thanks, Plymouthgus.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2023 at 22:51:19 #954700

The Simplon Pass road is kept open all year round, but the car carrier train is faster and easy to get to at Brig station. Google maps clearly shows the Simplon Pass road (Road number 9 / E62) . To get Google to show you the pass route simply check the ‘avoid tolls’ box in the options

• The thread ‘Drive Zermatt to Menaggio – Simplon pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.