Getting off Bernina Express, spending night, etc

• Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    25 March 2018 at 16:51:27 #814947

Hi, we are flying into Zurich and would like to spend one day hiking in the swiss alps before taking the Bernina Express to Torino, Italy. We will be catching the Bernina Express in Chur. Can we get off the Bernina Express and spend a night or two in a town in the Swiss alps and get back on Bernina Express and continue on to Torino? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    25 March 2018 at 18:41:51 #879759

Hi LoveTravelx2 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Certainly you can get off the Bernina Express along its route if you want to. If you take the Bernina Express train itself (regional trains run the same route) you’ll need reservations for both trips.

Perhaps stopping in St. Moritz would work for you? When are you coming to Switzerland? If it is before June hiking will be quite limited up in the higher altitudes.

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    25 March 2018 at 19:56:27 #879760

Thank you! We will be there in mid-Sept. We would like to spend one day. Is there a moderate sized town with access to hiking?

Arno
    15491 posts
    26 March 2018 at 5:11:34 #879761

Hi LoveTravelx2,

The St. Moritz link that Lucas provided gives more details on that area. See the “What to do” tab for hiking and other things to do. Staying in nearby Samedan or Pontresina would work as well; those towns are even smaller.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    26 March 2018 at 14:51:50 #879762

Hi all! I have the same questions as LoveTravelx2!! We will be in Switzerland the last week in September and then the 3rd weekend of October. Are Samedan and/or Pontresina train stops? And, is there an issue being in this area on a Sunday? Thank you so much.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    26 March 2018 at 19:02:13 #879763

Hi kamclain,

Pontresina is a stop. If you would like to stop in Samedan you’ll have to take the regular train that follows the exact same route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    26 March 2018 at 19:12:23 #879764

Chantal, thanks. I am from Texas…we don’t travel via train, we drive everywhere so I am a confused human. I think I am understanding that if I take the Bernina Express and choose to get off to overnight…. I will have to buy another ticket to continue my trip, is that correct?

We are not young, we are not necessarily the fitness icons….so which of these tiny towns would you chose for moderate to easy hiking?

Removed user
    Participant
    72632 posts
    27 March 2018 at 2:16:04 #879765

>> if I take the Bernina Express and choose to get off to overnight…. I will have to buy another ticket to continue my trip, is that correct?

Yes, if you are buying point-to-point tickets. Have you considered whether some kind of pass would be more appropriate for your travel plans?

>> which of these tiny towns would you chose for moderate to easy hiking?

Any of them. The whole area is well-connected by trains, buses and mountain transport. Guests staying more than one night in a participating hotel get a card providing free mountain railway transport between 1 May and 31 October 2018.

As Arno has already said, “See the “What to do” tab for hiking and other things to do.” Then use the Swiss Timetable to find out how to get to the start of whatever hikes you choose.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It is starting to get very confusing sorting out your questions and plans from those of LoveTravelx2, who started this thread.

If you have any follow-up or new questions, please start a new thread so we can keep track of things more easily, and don’t end up giving you advice based on someone else’s plans 🙂

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Getting off Bernina Express, spending night, etc’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11390 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.