GoldenPass route to Valais, Wengen-Montreux as day trip + luggage

• punit_shah
    Participant
    5 posts
    18 April 2024 at 4:02:54 #1429375

I’m currently in Wengen and our next location for stay is Valais with my wife and kid. We’re considering using the Golden Pass scenic train for our journey. I have a few doubts:

1. Can we use the Golden Pass Train to travel to Valais by getting off at Montreux and continuing to Valais? We want to experience the Golden Pass route while also transferring to Valais. However, we’ll have luggage with us. Is this advisable?

2. Alternatively, should we do a full-day trip from Wengen to Montreux via the Golden Pass route?

Please advise on the best option considering our luggage and desire to experience the scenic train journey. Thanks

• Yolanda
    2393 posts
    18 April 2024 at 7:07:00 #1429377

HI punit_shah,

Hope you are having a nice time in Wengen.

The GoldenPass is a train journey connecting Lucerne, Interlaken and Montreux. All about the GoldenPass route is explained in the attached link:

I am unsure which part of Valais you are wishing to travel to but you can research your journey using the Swiss timetable to see where you would like to go to in Valais and if it would work for you and your family.  Here is the timetable link:  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/public-transport/timetable/

Of course you can travel with your luggage, there will be luggage racks available but if you feel you have too much you can always use the luggage transport services offered by SBB and have your luggage delivered to your destination train station or address.  More details in the attached link, scroll to “Luggage transport services” :

As for a day trip from Wengen to Montreux, it’ll be quite a long day on the train, one way you are looking at over 4 hours if you are going to connect up with the GoldenPass route in Interlaken.  There are faster routes but you would not be taking the GoldenPass route.  You can see your options when you research your trip with the timetable.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11140 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.