GoldenPass Belle Epoque train reservation – 2nd vs 1st class options

• Rspam
    Participant
    7 posts
    25 April 2024 at 6:12:31 #1459702

We are planning on taking the Belle Epoque from Zweisimmen to Montreux this summer.
    Looking at the train photos online, the 1st class seats are quite large and plush.  The 2nd class seats appear to be a mix of one car having plush seats similar to 1st class but not as large (no armrests) and then there is also a part where it is wooden benches with some padding.  If one were to book reservations for the train for 2nd class, is there a way to know which type of seat you are getting?  I noticed one car is completely booked / blocked out and read somewhere that this is because it may be being held for tour group bookings.  I’d like to book the 2nd class more plush seats to save money over 1st class but would like to avoid the wooden bench seats if possible although it is not that long of a ride.  Any idea about how to do that or is there no way to do this?  Thanks.

• Yolanda
    2412 posts
    25 April 2024 at 19:59:24 #1461422

Hi Roger,

If you are wanting the more plush seating for a ride on the GoldenPass Belle Époque (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/goldenpass/), that would be 1st class seating.

The below thread should help, the reply on March 25th has photos for reference differentiating 1st vs 2nd class:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Rspam
    Participant
    7 posts
    26 April 2024 at 5:04:22 #1461437

Thank you for pointing me to those pictures, very helpful.  Do you think in the high season (end of July), it will be necessary to make reservations for 1st class seats?  And to confirm other sources, for the best scenic view, it is recommended to sit on the right side of the train in the direction of travel?

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    362 posts
    26 April 2024 at 6:43:02 #1461440

Hi Rspam,

Yes, if you are travelling in July and want to be sure of getting seats together, and preferably getting window seats on your preferred side of the train, I would definitely recommend that you reserve your seats.

I think you get beautiful views on both sides of the train, but I prefer the right-hand side when travelling towards Montreux, as there are several lovely chalet-style stations along the way, and most of them are on the right.

In regards to the most spectacular views (during the descent into Montreux), both sides get good views, as the train changes direction several times during the descent, so no matter which side of the train you are on, you will be facing the lake at some point.

In addition to your 1st class reservation, you will need a first class ticket to cover the sector Zweisimmen to Montreux. I understand you are travelling with a Berner Oberland Pass on this day, and that you do not also have a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card. So you will need to buy a class upgrade at full price for the sector Zweisimmen to Saanen, and a first-class ticket at half-price for the sector Saanen to Montreux.

Hope this answers your questions!

Alpenrose

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11180 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.