Gotthard Panorama Express not operating on Mondays

• Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    5 August 2021 at 23:34:34 #826011

My wife are planning a 10 day train trip in Switzerland beginning Sept. 26. . We have a detailed itinerary, rail passes, rail and hotel reservations all set thanks to your frequent advice. On Oct. 3, near the end of our trip, we planned to go from St. Moritz (after the Glacier Express) to Tirino & Lugano. The following day our plans were to travel on the Gotthard Express to Fluellen and onto Lucerne by boat. this is a fairly tight schedule with us flying out of Zurich on Oct. 6.

We just received a message from Happyrails that they are canceling our reservation on the Gatthard Express on Oct. 4 because the train does not operate on Mondays. Now i have to adjust our schedule in order to complete our trip and I have a couple options and I am looking for advice.

One option is on Oct 3, (Sunday) to go directly from St. Mortiz to Lugano, skip the Bernina to Tirino/ Lugano and catch the Gotthard on Sunday morning to Fluelen and Lucerne. Stay an extra day in Lucerne.

The other option is to travel to Tirino and Lugano as currently scheduled and travel to Fluelen on a regular train on Monday and keep our itinerary intact. We cannot shorten our one day in Lucerne because we will not have visited the city yet. Is the regular train from Lugano to Fluelen very scenic?

I have an email into Happyrails right now to see if the Boat from Fluelen to Lucerne is also closed on Mondays. Any suggestions how we can adjust our schedule?

Joejax

• Anna
    6397 posts
    6 August 2021 at 9:03:13 #936076

Hi Joejax,

I’m sorry Happy Rail cancelled your Gotthard Panorama Express booking. You can still stick to you schedule and take the regular trains instead (from Lugano to Flüelen). The route is similar. The big difference is you might have to switch trains and the journey will take longer. Please plan your journey carefully using the SBB timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

There are also regular boat services from Flüelen to Lucerne. You can check the timetable here: http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/

Hope this helps you plan your trip. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express not operating on Mondays’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.