Geneva, Zurich, Chur, Tirano – seat reservation for group of 9

• BentleyJ
    Participant
    5 posts
    6 May 2024 at 4:01:11 #1497288

Hello!

We are a group of 9 traveling together, from Geneva to Zurich, and Zurich to Chur. I appreciate all of the great information on this site regarding train tickets. I saw that it is unnecessary to purchase tickets in advance, however, I am wondering if since we are a group of 9, should we consider making seat reservations for any of the trains. We have a tour scheduled in Zurich at 13:30 and must be on the 9:15 train to make it in time to drop off our luggage at our hotel. Also, is anyone familiar with the Tirano to Milan train? I believe that our only option is on the Trenord line so I also wanted to see if we should book that train in advance.

Thank you!

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    399 posts
    6 May 2024 at 7:28:12 #1497294

Hi BentleyJ, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

As long as you travel on InterCity trains (shown as IC in the SBB timetable), you can reserve seats. That will include trains from Geneva to Zürich. There will be an R symbol in the timetable to indicate that seat reservations are possible (see attached screenshot).

The route Zürich-Chur is served by both InterCity (IC) and InterRegio (IR) regional trains. Reservations are only possible if you choose an InterCity train which also displays the R symbol.

Trains from Tirano to Milano are regional trains, and reservations are not possible. When are you travelling? There is some track work planned on that route this summer, and there will be a replacement bus service for part of the route during that time.

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

BentleyJ
    Participant
    5 posts
    6 May 2024 at 16:48:42 #1501216

Thank you for the quick response! Would you recommend that we book these trains in advance? We are also taking the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano. We already have the seat reservations but we need to buy the tickets. I can purchase those through SBB, correct? We are traveling from Tirano to Milan on June 23rd. Would you happen to know if that is when the track work is planned? I see direct trains until June 8th, and nothing afterwards. I really appreciate your help!

BentleyJ

Anna
    6465 posts
    6 May 2024 at 23:16:06 #1501223

Hi BentleyJ,

As Alpenrose mentioned earlier, there will be some disruption to the train service from Tirano to Milan starting mid June. A section of the train line from Tirano to Milan will be closed for refurbishment and there will be replacement buses operating along this section. You can check the updated timetable on the Trenord website.

Further information about travel and tickets between Italy and Switzerland is available here: https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-guide/italy-switzerland/

Regards,

Anna

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    399 posts
    7 May 2024 at 10:15:23 #1503221

Hi BentleyJ,

>>> Would you recommend that we book these trains in advance?

I don’t think you need to get your seat reservations too far in advance, as reservations on ordinary trains in Switzerland are pretty uncommon due to the frequency and capacity of services. However, as you are travelling next month, if you get it out of the way now, that is one less thing to think about!

>>> We are also taking the Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano. We already have the seat reservations but we need to buy the tickets. I can purchase those through SBB, correct?

Yes, no hurry to buy the tickets. You can buy them online from SBB, or from a ticket machine or ticket counter at any station. As long as you have them when you board the train, that is all that is required.

>>> We are traveling from Tirano to Milan on June 23rd. Would you happen to know if that is when the track work is planned? I see direct trains until June 8th, and nothing afterwards.

Yes, your journey will be affected by track work, and you will need to take buses for part of the way. Trains for 23 June are now showing up in the Trenord timetable.

https://www.trenord.it/en/

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

BentleyJ
    Participant
    5 posts
    7 May 2024 at 14:29:15 #1507443

Thank you, Anna and Alpenrose! This is very helpful. When I search the trains, the latest train that I see is 14:24. In your experience, would they add more trains? Prior to June 9th, there were quite a few trains after our arrival. Our Bernina Express does not arrive until 18:00 so I am concerned that we need to stay the night in Tirano now.

Thank you!

BentleyJ

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    399 posts
    8 May 2024 at 5:35:05 #1507476

Hi BentleyJ,

>>> When I search the trains, the latest train that I see is 14:24. In your experience, would they add more trains? Prior to June 9th, there were quite a few trains after our arrival. Our Bernina Express does not arrive until 18:00 so I am concerned that we need to stay the night in Tirano now.

Yes, I would expect that the later afternoon and evening trains from Tirano to Milano will reappear in the timetable, hopefully sooner rather than later. Check the timetable daily!

The track work combined with the minor timetable change that affects most European railways on the second Sunday in June each year is probably causing delays in timetable data being finalised and uploaded to the system.

However, it wouldn’t hurt to have a contingency plan for peace of mind. You have already mentioned the possibility of staying overnight in Tirano, which I imagine would disrupt your plans considerably.

Other options you might consider are:

1. Travelling the Bernina route on regional trains and arriving in Tirano in time to catch the 14:24 bus/train service to Milano. Regional trains don’t require reservations (and reservations are not possible). This connection would work, and wouldn’t involve any additional expense or re-booking of accommodation:

• Depart Chur 07:55 Arrive St Moritz 10:00
    • Depart St Moritz 10:48 Arrive Tirano 13:00

2. Travelling to Milano via a completely different route, e.g.

• Depart Chur 13:08 Arrive Zürich 14:22
    • Depart Zürich 14:33 Arrive Milano Centrale 18:50 (EuroCity train)

If your train Zürich to Milano is a EuroCity (EC in the timetable), reservations are compulsory).

Good luck!

Alpenrose

BentleyJ
    Participant
    5 posts
    8 May 2024 at 14:41:51 #1517197

This is so incredibly helpful! I cannot thank you enough for your help. One final question going back to the seat reservations. We are going to purchase the Swiss Half Fare card. For the SBB seat reservations, would we book the adult tickets at half fare with seat reservations and for the children, would we just book the seat reservation since they don’t need a ticket? Again, thank you!!

BentleyJ

Yolanda
    2486 posts
    9 May 2024 at 7:45:55 #1520682

Hi BentleyJ,

Here’s our guide to seat reservations:

For the regular trains that allow reservations, (as mentioned by Alpenrose earlier, the R symbol is displayed in the timetable), they will cost CHF5 per person.  Children will also be required to pay for their seat reservations too, even if they are traveling free when with you.

For Swiss Half Fare Card purchase options, you can find some online suggestions here:

Be sure to apply for your Swiss Family Card with your Swiss Half Fare Card, so your children (aged 6-15years) can travel free whilst with you.  More information on the Swiss Family Card here:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    399 posts
    9 May 2024 at 8:08:58 #1520685

Hi BentleyJ,

Thank you for expressing your appreciation 🙂 I’m glad I could help.

To keep things simple, I would recommend you buy “reservation only” for everyone – adults and children – first in one transaction, then buy the actual tickets for the adults in a separate transaction.

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

BentleyJ
    Participant
    5 posts
    9 May 2024 at 14:43:50 #1522470

Thank you all for your help!

-BentleyJ

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11390 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.