Guidance for diabetics visiting Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 1:39:25 #814055

Hello– I will be doing a long distance hike this summer in Switzerland (G’wald to Sargans) with someone who is a Type 1 diabetic. She requires multiple insulin injections each day, and will be bringing a supply of syringes from home. She is wondering:

– Does she need any special papers to bring her insulin syringes into the country? (It will be a 2 week hike for her, so this will be something like 50 syringes.)

-How difficult would it be, and what papers would she need, to obtain additional insulin syringes from a pharmacy in Switzerland, should she run out?

– Where can one properly dispose of used insulin syringes?

Specialized questions, I realize, but am confident that someone on this forum will have the answers.

Thanks.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 4:50:03 #874467

Hi Nevertoolate,

I can’t actually help you with this, but I would just like to add that she should check the requirements for any countries you will be transiting by air on the way to Switzerland as well. Usually their embassy websites have ínformation or will provide contact details for getting further information about specific items.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 10:07:51 #874468

Hi Nevertoolate,

I’m afraid I can’t help you either. I found however contact details of theSchweizerische Diabetes-Gesellscheft (a member of the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) since 1958):

Tel: +41-56-2001790
    Email: sekretariat@diabetesgesellschaft.c h

You might want to contact them.

Arno
    15484 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 15:15:41 #874470

Thanks for the tips, everyone. A quick perusal of the various websites hasn’t yet unearthed the answers, but I will contact the Diabetesgesellschaft by email.

NTL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 4:24:55 #874471

Hi– Just to close this out for the benefit of any others who may be similarly situated, I received a very helpful response from SwissMedic.ch. It is permissible to bring in enough insulin (and insulin syringes) for the period of the stay (2 weeks, in our case), but the traveler should have with them a physician’s prescription to prove that they are for a personal medical condition. And, used syringes may be disposed of at pharmacies.

NTL

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 7:21:14 #874472

Hi Nevertoolate,

Great information – thanks for taking the time to share it on the forum!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2018 at 9:27:20 #874473

Just to share, my son is diabetic and each time he travels he gets a letter from the Hospital who is taking care of him to indicate He is type 1 diabetic {His condition} and the type of medication he takes. The letter did not state that used syringes may be disposed of at the pharmacies.

For type 1 diabetic patient,

it would be good that since you are travelling with her to know the signs of hypoglycemia and how to help her.

She must bring a bit more than enough insulin and syringes for travelling because it might not be easy for her to purchase while traveling. You will lose time in searching and since you are hiking, there might not be a pharmacy around.

just to share. hope it helps.

• The thread ‘Guidance for diabetics visiting Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.