Swiss Half Fare Card + ID inspection: is colour copy of passport ok?

• kAYEN
    Participant
    47 posts
    13 April 2024 at 19:30:42 #1405064

Hi All,

When I read that you have to show passport together with the pass. Can I show the colored photocopy of our passport together with the pass?

Thank you again and again.

Karen

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    14 April 2024 at 11:02:49 #1405088

Hi Karen,

No, any sort of copy of your ID is not valid. You have to show your original passport or government-issued ID.

Showing original ID is an anti-fraud measure. Copies of a document can easily be forged, which would defeat the purpose.

Hope this clarifies the requirements!

Alpenrose

DebH
    Participant
    77 posts
    14 April 2024 at 11:09:54 #1405089

There have been lots of reports of people showing their driving licences instead.

I wouldn’t walk around with my passport, unless of course I was travelling to a different place, but not just out for the day.

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    14 April 2024 at 11:14:05 #1405090

Hi Deb,

A driver’s licence would count as a government-issued ID I would think.

Alpenrose

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    14 April 2024 at 17:51:02 #1405431

Hi Karen,

Yes, per the above replies.  Original identification be it, in the form of passport, ID card, driving licence must be produced when asked by a ticket inspector.

More on how the Swiss Half Fare Card works in the attached link:  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-half-fare-card/

Kind regards,

Yolanda

DebH
    Participant
    77 posts
    15 April 2024 at 10:47:49 #1405462

Thanks Alpenrose and Yolanda.  I am slightly concerned that an Australian licence won’t be good enough, but I will carry it and see how I go.  I will have both the original and the new phone version that gets introduced next month.

I just do not feel comfortable walking around with my passport, unless of course we are changing hotels.

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    15 April 2024 at 11:34:30 #1405464

Hi Deb,

I understand your concern.

As far as the driver’s licence goes, I guess it depends on whether the conductor/ticket inspector is confident they are looking at a genuine one. A plastic driver’s licence has obvious security features as part of the design, so that should be OK.

One thing to remember is that many day trips people do from a base in Switzerland involve crossing a border (to France, Italy or Austria in particular) so taking a passport on those trips is essential.

I cross borders quite frequently on day trips when staying in the Engadin or Montreux, so I take my passport with me every day rather than forget to bring it. I wear it on my person at all times, in a special passport pouch. I would never put it in a bag that might get left behind on a train or in a restaurant.

Alpenrose

DebH
    Participant
    77 posts
    16 April 2024 at 10:43:41 #1412501

Alpenrose, yes our licences are plastic and have security features built into them.

I think the only time we will be crossing borders is on the Bernina Express from Tirano to St. Moritz, and if we do a day trip from Montreux to Yvoire.  I will also have it when changing location which will happen quite a few times and I plan to get some sort of pouch for that purpose.

I just don’t want to have it while going for a walk in the Bernese Oberland, which of course will require trains or gondolas to get there.

kAYEN
    Participant
    47 posts
    16 April 2024 at 22:21:26 #1415992

Alpenrose and Yolanda: Thank you so very much. I am not comfortable bringing my passport if we are in the mountains or in the city except going to Chamonix of course. We appreciate the help here.

Cheers to everyone!

Karen

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.