Swiss Travel Pass with Berner Oberland Pass + Half Fare Card?

• Rspam
    Participant
    7 posts
    27 April 2024 at 8:50:10 #1464130

Hi, would really appreciate your insight into my situation here choosing between train passes.  Initially, we were doing most of our travel in the Berner Oberland area with a short stay in Lucerne too.  Thus, I got the Half Fare & Berner Oberland Pass (BOP 6 day).  For the youth, I got them the BOP alone since they now sell it discounted without Half Fare needed.  With itinerary change to now 2 days in Lucerne (city, Pilatus), 6 days based in Wengen (Interlaken/Niederhorn, Murren, Schilthorn, Grindelwald), 4 days in Montreux/Lutry then traveling out through Basel to France, we have significant areas outside of BOP coverage.

My question is with a Swiss Travel Pass (STP) instead, are there a lot of features in the Berner area free with BOP but not the STP?  Does the STP cover the cable cars like Grindelwald ones or Niederhorn for free or would it be just discounted?  I’m guessing the more I do outside the central Berner Oberland area the less advantage the BOP will have.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11230 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.