Hiking trails open in the Jungfrau / Bernese Oberland mid – late May?

• Ana
    Participant
    13 posts
    24 April 2024 at 5:55:48 #1446884

Hello again everyone 🧡

I’m heading to Switzerland in mid May and staying to late May – are there any trails open in the jungfrau / BO region? Easy to moderate walking trails?

thank you Anne for helping me in my last thread!

anastasia

• kim11
    Participant
    607 posts
    24 April 2024 at 18:13:29 #1459689

Spring does not come early to the Bernese Oberland. Many of the higher elevation hikes are often closed by snow and/or mud until mid-June.  (See https://maps.jungfrauferien.ch/hiking/ for current map of open/closed trails. This is updated frequently. )

During heavy or late snow years some of the higher elevation trails don’t open until July 1. The earliest the higher elevation hikes open are when the transports to reach the trailheads are scheduled to begin operating. However, sometimes the trails don’t open for days or weeks later, it is entirely weather- and snowpack-dependent.

However, there are a number of lower elevation hikes that are usually open during April, May, and early June. These are all easy walks; the more challenging hikes are those higher up.

A beautiful valley walk begins in Lauterbrunnen and ends in Stechelberg (or earlier, depending on your inclination). It is about 4 miles long on a wide flat path. You can go as far as Trümmelbach Falls (about half way and highly recommended for a visit) then bus the rest of the way,  go as far as the Stechelberg Schilthornbahn station, about 3.5 miles total, or go all the way to Stechelberg where there is a lovely inn that serves delicious lunches. You can take the bus back from any of these stops to Lauterbrunnen.

The only walk at elevation that’s pretty sure to be open is the Grütschalp to Mürren route. Take the lift from Lauterbrunnen to Grütshcalp then enjoy the 3.5 mile, mostly flat stroll to Mürren. Stunning views of the Eiger massif from here.  You can also walk from Mürren down the paved easy trail to Gimmelwald then catch the gondola down to Stechelberg.

The Allmenhubel lift (from Mürren up to Allmendhubel) opens June 7, 2024  so you will miss that.

The gondola from Wengen to Männlichen (where one begins the easy walk down to Kleine Scheidegg)  begins operating again on 25 May 2024 but often the trail is obscured by snow or mud until mid June. If it is closed it is still well worth taking the gondola trip and walking around the top.

The ski gondolas from Grindelwald to First are now operating continuously year round.  The path to the lovely lake Bachalpsee usually doesn’t open until end of May or sometimes until mid June. Even if it is closed the trip up and back on the gondolas is breathtaking! And there are tons of adventure activities atop First. https://www.jungfrau.ch/de-ch/grindelwaldfirst/

There are a number of loop trails around Wengen that are usually open before mid-June as well. The tourist information center in town can direct you to these.

Ana
    Participant
    13 posts
    25 April 2024 at 12:30:10 #1460473

Kim!

thank you so much for your tips! Duly noted – absolutely helpful!

thank you ☺️

Yolanda
    2427 posts
    25 April 2024 at 19:25:22 #1461421

Hi Ana,

Kim actually created a truly comprehensive and amazing report on the area.  You can download and read, here’s the link:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Ana
    Participant
    13 posts
    25 April 2024 at 22:24:30 #1461428

Hi Kim and Yolanda,

the information you have given me is like golden nuggets, I have downloaded pdf and saved links so I can refer to when I get there ☺️

thank you so much for your help and your time. And effort. We’re so lucky that we have you guides to help us.

💖

anastasia

rounak
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 April 2024 at 22:29:02 #1461432

great info. I, too, was looking for this. this forum is just amazing.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11200 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.