Is Swiss Family Card/Junior Travelcard valid with Jungfrau Travel Pass

• manjari
    Participant
    6 posts
    7 May 2024 at 22:23:09 #1507468

I was planning to but the Bern Ober & half fare pass for my and my child (14yr) 4 nights stay in Wengen. One of the hotels is providing a 3 day JTP pass. Overall think it comes out better. What I do not understand is the below FAQ on the Jungfrau website – Why does it say children travel free with the Junior travel card (which is presumably same as swiss family card) and then in next sentence goes on to say the family reductions such as Junior Card / Swiss Family card are not valid.  What am I missing? is there some multiple Junior cards here?? I was told Junior card can be used in lieu of swiss family card when buying various tickets on SBB since SBB does not have an option of Swiss family card in the drop down.  What is this FAQ trying to say?

• Is the Junior Travelcard valid? Children from 6 to 15 years of age travel free of charge with the Junior Travelcard or Children’s Co-Travelcard. The family reductions such as the Junior Card, Children’s Co-Travelcard or Swiss Family Card are not valid in combination with the the Jungfrau Travel Pass or the Unlimted Jungfrau Summer Pass. Children aged 6-15.99 years require Jungfrau Travel Pass or Unlimited Jungfrau Summer Pass at a price of CHF 30.00 net per child.

Also, I am saving maybe 250$ with the JTP from Hotel vs Bern ober since my 1st afternoon halfday in Interlaken won’t be covered and I would be paying for all travel there with half card. IS there anything else I would end up paying extra in the 3 days I am staying in wengen? I am doing all the usual activities there- Grindelwald, Jungfrau, Lauterbernn waterfalls, the Murren Schilthorn etc.  Will I end up paying more with the JTP somehow if the swiss family card is not valid or accepted with the JTP?

• Yolanda
    2495 posts
    8 May 2024 at 21:48:44 #1520661

Hi manjari,

Probably best you contact the Jungfrau website for clarification.

As far as we are aware, both the Swiss Family Card and Junior Travelcard are not valid. Any child aged 6 to 15 years old would be required to purchase the CHF30 child Jungfrau Travel Pass in order to travel for free with their parents.

All explained in our guide here:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Annika
    7142 posts
    9 May 2024 at 14:05:49 #1522466

Hi manjari!

As Yolanda mentioned, the Swiss Family Card and the Junior Travelcard are not valid with a Jungfrau Travel Pass.

The Swiss Family Card can only be used with the Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Travel Pass Flex, and Swiss Half Fare Card. The Junior Travelcard can be used with many passes and tickets, but not all. You’ll find more info on both of these children’s cards at https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/tickets/discount/.

The FAQ you’re citing confirms this. The first sentence (“Children from 6 to 15 years of age travel free of charge with the Junior Travelcard or Children’s Co-Travelcard”) is just information about how these cards work in general; it doesn’t mean to say that this applies to the combination with the Jungfrau Travel Pass. Summarized: you can get a cheap flat-rate Jungfrau Travel Pass for children at CHF 30. They can then travel for free on all routes of the covered area, even the sections where adults don’t travel for fee but get a discount: see https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/jungfrau-travel-pass/#price.

The Jungfrau Travel Pass page linked to by Yolanda contains all validity details. Whether it’s the best choice for you, depends on your overall itinerary. It’s a sound choice if you’re sure you’ll stick to Wengen and its surroundings during your stay. If you expect to be exploring other areas of the Berner Oberland too, or want to have that option in case weather in the Jungfrau Region isn’t great, the Berner Oberland Pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/berner-oberland-pass/) or a nation-wide pass might be a better alternative.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11410 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.