how to access wifi / internet?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2015 at 7:56:47 #807053

Hello! we are planning to visit Switzerland for 5 days and another 2 days in France. Can we buy Swisscom sim card for using internet in Switzerland? or any pocket wifi service suggested? Are there public wifi available in Bern, Interlaken and Lausanne?

• Annika
    7126 posts
    8 April 2015 at 4:18:21 #842312

Hi arha108,

I think this thread and this page answer your questions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2015 at 6:13:02 #842313

Hi Annika,

Thanks a lot for your info.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 April 2015 at 7:56:28 #842314

Annika-

Here are a few things that I might add to your helpful post about access to the internet in Switzerland.

1.- I have found that the tourist information offices, especially in major cities, offer wifi free for perhaps a half hour. I have also found that some have computer access…. less frequent than before smart phones became so common, but worth a look.

2.- I have stayed at small and large inns all across Switzerland. Many do not advertise it, but have wifi if you ask while staying there. Usually, they will provide an access code and password , often for no charge. Some places – typically the larger places – offer access for a fee, via Swisscom access code that you buy for a few franks and can use in more than one hotel. Or, they may have some other way to charge you a few franks to get a a password.

3. Although there used to be Internet Cafes, in the dim dark distant past, the universal use of smartphones seems to have shut them down. Apparently, they no longer serve a need.

4.- Starbucks.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 April 2015 at 9:35:26 #842315

Thanks for adding that Slowpoke. Indeed, if you don’t need internet access all day long, there are wifi spots to get access. Nearly all hotels in the towns (not the remote ones in the mountains) offer that.

• The thread ‘how to access wifi / internet?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.