How to take Lake Lucerne paddle steamer with stops

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2018 at 13:54:31 #818436

I would like very much to take a roundtrip day trip on a paddle steamer on Lake Lucerne on October 5, 2018, and be able to stop briefly at one or more of the picturesque towns on the Lake and then get on another boat to continue back to Lucerne. I have looked at the website for Lake Lucerne and at the timetables and sent an email to Lake Lucerne information. The email went unanswered. I am unable to decipher the timetables or confirm how to do take such a trip.

Does anyone know:

(1) if one of the restored paddle steamers operates mid-morning October 5;

(2) if I can get off at a stop or stops and then get on another boat;

(3) how I determine what that boat I would get back on and the time(s) or towns of pickup?

I have read there is a “Best of Lake Lucerne” boat ride,but I was unable to view the website about it to know the type of boat, times, cost or where I would obtain a ticket for it.

Any guidance would be very much welcome as I look forward to visiting beautiful Switzerland. Thank you in advance.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2018 at 0:27:33 #896530

A single ticket is valid for any number of stops in the same direction, for example if you do the whole lake (Luzern – Fluelen) you could get off at Vitznau and carry on on a following boat. Once at Fluelen you would need a ticket valid for the return back to Luzern

Beware – it is a big lake and if you go all the way you won’t have time for many stopovers

The lake boats are operated by SGV.

Everything you need to know is on the operator’s website:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2018 at 6:15:29 #896531

Hi BJ,

For general information look through our page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne

On the website 1960man posted, these pages might help you for the steamboat:

The first link is only in German and it seems only posted for the current week. But DAMPFSCHIFF is “steamboat” in German. You can compare the boat names on 1st link with the info on the 2nd link

Will you have a rail pass of any sort on your trip? A Tell Pass or Swiss Travel Pass will fully cover any trips on the lake – just hop on as you like.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2018 at 23:36:14 #896532

Does anyone know:

(1) if one of the restored paddle steamers operates mid-morning October 5;

The 11.12 departure from Luzern to Fluelen (the full long lake trip) and back is booked for a paddle steamer on October 5. There will be only one working on that day.

By the way, the paddle steamers are not ‘restored’ in the usual sense of the word. They have been operating daily since they were built in the 1920s (but obviously from time to time one goes out of service for a major overhaul – as has just happened with ‘Stadt Luzern’)

Here are my pictures from August this year

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 11:37:06 #896533

Great pictures!

Maybe it is better not to be on one so you can take photos of it! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 22:35:26 #896534

Thank you very much for that helpful information! I appreciate receiving it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 22:49:55 #896535

Thank you for the information. Do you or does anyone know if there is a paddle steamer with openings for reservations on October 8? And how might I purchase tickets in advance? thank you, again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 22:52:49 #896536

Thank you for this information. I have looked at the timetable and I cannot decipher if there is a paddle steamer for October 8. From reading the other helpful replies, I would like very much to know also if there are any tickets available for that day and how to obtain them. Should I ask my question to myswissalps. com?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2018 at 23:27:15 #896537

Please stop panicking about the steamers!

1) you do not need a reservation, just buy a ticket at the landing stage or on the boat itself. Tourists from all over the world do this every day on Lake Luzern steamers. The staff understand very well how to serve foreign tourists.

2) the working pattern of the steamers is quite simple. In October (the ‘Autumn’ season) there is one steamer booked to work Mondays – Saturdays, working the service I have already detailed (11.12 from Luzern). There are two steamers booked to work on Sundays. The second steamer is booked to operate the 09.12 from Luzern

As such: the date you first stated (October 5) is a Friday so only one steamer runs. October 8 is a Monday so again, only one steamer will operate.

However, these dates suggests you will be in the area on October 7 which is a Sunday, when you would have a choice of two steamer services, and could therefore travel on both if you plan carefully.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2018 at 0:13:46 #896538

1960man

The summer timetables aren’t up yet. Do you have a vague idea what time the first paddle boat would leave lucerne on a weekday in summer to go towards Rigi?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2018 at 14:53:47 #896539

Thank you for your response. I posed the question about booking in advance for October 8 because of the statement posted that the steamer for October 5 was booked.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2018 at 15:13:34 #896540

Hi BJ,

The links I gave you normally gives you those details but it isn’t updated past the end of September – not sure when they will upload October (Ship allocation).

You might be able to find out the schedule for the steamer by contacting the boat companydirectly: info(@)lakelucerne.ch

I think there was a misunderstanding with the ships and “booking”. Except for special food cruises (dinner, sunset etc). The ships don’t take reservations and can’t be booked out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2018 at 23:38:48 #896541

You have misinterpreted the word ‘booked’

In transport language, ‘booked’ means that a certain service is scheduled (aka planned aka intended) under normal circumstances to be operated by a certain type of vehicle, but operating conditions (eg a vehicle breaks down) on the day may alter the planned usage.

So on Lake Luzern the trips scheduled to be steamer should normally be steamer but the company reserves the right to operate with a diesel boat (the timetable has a ‘disclaimer’ footnote to that effect)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2018 at 23:43:29 #896542

This summer the first boat from Luzern to Vitznau was at 08.12 from Luzern

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2018 at 0:28:52 #896543

1960man

Thank you so much. I am a planner. What can I say!

• The thread ‘How to take Lake Lucerne paddle steamer with stops’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.