How to travel from Locarno to Milan with Swiss Travel Pass?

• maya
    Participant
    1 post
    10 April 2024 at 2:33:44 #1384831

Hi, I will be in Locarno and would like to do a day trip to Milan. I have the Swiss Pass and I know that it is valid only within the Swiss borders. So, what would be the best way to travel from Locarno to Milan?

• Lynda
    Participant
    26 posts
    10 April 2024 at 12:51:08 #1389577

Hello Maya,

To use the ticket, the best way would be to go via Lugano. You’d need a ticket from Chiasso to Milan.

There are trains every hour from Locarno to Milan, (duration 1hr 55 mins) so you don’t have to change trains. Just buy a ticket online, or from the machines in Locarno before you get on. They should show single and return.

If you buy a ticket online at sbb.ch you will see it says Arcobaleno Transfrontaliera which gives you a ticket from Chiasso to Milan, valid 4 hours. (It’s only a 45 min train ride to/from Milan). Cross border tickets, depending on which you buy are valid on regional and suburban trains, and Trenord (Italian) trains.

You can see more about this at

Arcobaleno.ch/en/home/tickets/cross-border-tickets

As you have a Swiss pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-travel-pass/) , you are correct regarding the last destination in Switzerland.  If I were you, I’d buy online just before getting on the train or when even on it, before arriving in Chiasso, and before getting on in Milan if you are coming back.

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    10 April 2024 at 18:23:27 #1397806

Hi Maya,

Very welcome to MySwissAlps.

In addition to Lynda’s helpful reply, we have a handy guide for all travel to/from Italy, and in case you needed other purchase options for your Italian ticket, you’ll find some suggestions within the guide too.

Here’s the link:  https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-guide/italy-switzerland/

If you are also interested to view the Swiss Travel Pass coverage map, you can download it in the below link:

That way you can view where the pass allows your free and discounted travel.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.