Interlaken to Zermatt – how to travel on the Belle Epoque train

• KayM
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 April 2024 at 4:46:40 #1378536

Hello,

I am travelling from Interlaken to Zermatt in September. Is there any way that I can experience the Belle Epoque enroute to Zermatt? I (now) see that the trains (BE vs normal train) head in different directions but after some checking on train apps, don’t see where I would be able to even stay on a little while and then change to a “normal” train.

If anyone could think of some options that would be great and appreciated.

ps i also don’t have a lot of time in Zermatt so wouldn’t be able to spend lots of hours going to the end then redirecting to Zermatt from Montreux.

Many thanks,

Kay

• Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    9 April 2024 at 6:36:34 #1378543

Hi Kay, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think you are referring to the Goldenpass and Lötschberg routes, which do indeed go in different directions from Spiez. There are no connections between the two anywhere along their respective routes.

If you wanted to include the Belle Époque in your transfer from Interlaken to Zermatt, you would have to take the Goldenpass route to Montreux, then regional trains from there to Zermatt, which you have said you don’t want to do.

The Lötschberg route from Spiez to Brig is very scenic if you take the mountain route via Kandersteg instead of the faster route through the Lötschberg-Basistunnel, however the train is not a “special” one.

Have a good trip!

Alpenrose

KayM
    Participant
    2 posts
    9 April 2024 at 8:51:36 #1378546

Hi Alpenrose,

Yep, I thought as much.

Thank you for confirming though for me. Much appreciated.

kind regards,

Kay

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.