Is Bern tram luggage friendly?

• Vince_Woon
    Participant
    9 posts
    1 February 2023 at 2:39:45 #828994

Hi all, I am visiting Bern in coming March. I found a great apartment but it is not in the city centre, it is near Thunplatz station, which I need to take a tram to the house. I got 2 elder parents and 2 young kids under 3 year old travel with me. Do you think the tram is luggage friendly? As I did not take Swiss tram before not sure the space and the crowd as well as the time allowed to board and alight. If it is not convenient then I shall just get a hotel in the city centre or the old town.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Vince

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2023 at 8:05:17 #950436

Hi Vince,

It depends on when you travel. Trams in Bern are modern and you have enough place for the luggage. But during peak times (in the morning and after work) the tram can be more crowded. You can also take a taxi or a Uber if you want.

At http://www.myswissalps.com/bern/hotels you can search for hotels close to the train station – to be able to do that, use the filter ‘Maximum travel time to rail station’ on the right side.

Here, you can see a picture about the trams in Bern: http://www.myswissalps.com/bern/travel

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2023 at 10:19:21 #950437

Using Bern trams is easy. Thunplatz is a very nice part of the city, so I recommend you don’t change your accommodation.

Take tram route 7 or 8 from Bern Bahnhof for 5 stops. You will travel through the arcaded main street of Bern and past the famous clock. The trams used on all Bern tram routes are high capacity low floor (easy access) vehicles

Vince_Woon
    Participant
    9 posts
    3 February 2023 at 7:01:40 #950438

Thanks a lot lldiko and 1960man! Yes this clear my doubt and yes I will stick to the apartment in Thunplatz and enjoy the tram!

Appreciate that!

Best regards,

Vince

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2023 at 13:11:07 #950439

Here are three of my pictures from 2017.

Picture 1 shows the tram route you will be on. The tram in view is coming from the main station as you will do. It has just traversed the famous Marktgasse with its arcaded shops. It will turn left in front of the camera to go on to cross the river.

Picture 2 shows a route 8 tram just coming off the river bridge into Helvetiaplatz (where the Einstein museum is situated). It will turn to the right as seen from the camera to join Thunstrasse.

Picture 3 shows the view looking from Helvetiaplatz along Thunstrasse towards Thunplatz in the distance

Vince_Woon
    Participant
    9 posts
    12 February 2023 at 5:45:10 #950440

Dear 1960man,

That’s lovely reply with the pictures! Thank you so much for the details for each picture! Yes it gave me a much clearer guide now. I am already counting down to Bern in less than a month time!

thanks again.

best regards,

Vince

• The thread ‘Is Bern tram luggage friendly?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.