Purchasing multiple Swiss rail and regional passes for 6 people

• jmhilde
    Participant
    27 posts
    12 April 2024 at 22:54:04 #1402588

I am buying the Half Price Card, the Tell Pass, and the BO Pass for six people. Neither the SBB nor the STC websites seem to have a tool for entering passenger information from my account, which means I will have to enter passenger information 18 times (6 passengers x 3 passes)! That’s just appalling. Does anyone know any trick for ordering multiple passes that doesn’t require this repetitive nonsense?

Also: STC seems to only offer “print at home” tickets with no option for “e-tickets.” Does SBB offer a digital option?

• Arno
    15484 posts
    13 April 2024 at 14:40:59 #1405052

Hi Jmhilde,

I agree that’s not handy but I don’t know a way around it. In my experience, my browser stores the values I entered and allows me to fill out the same value with one click, so that speeds things up.

Switzerland Travel Centre (STC) is the tourist webshop of the SBB. That’s the shop I’d recommend: https://www.myswissalps.com/link/stc-home/. No worries about “e-tickets” versus “print-at-home tickets”. That’s different words for the exact same thing: you’ll receive a PDF file for each pass, and it can be stored on your phone. The passes will arrive in your inbox in minutes.

Enjoy your travels!

jmhilde
    Participant
    27 posts
    13 April 2024 at 21:10:40 #1405070

Thanks, Arno, much appreciated!  🙂

Of course you’re right that the PDF file for “print at home” tickets will be digital. Duh, me! So we will have an e-version on our phones. Excellent!

I’m just so surprised about having to fill in 18 different pass orders instead of just clicking a box and having the pre-loaded passenger information in my account auto-fill. So inefficient! And I’m fully expecting that if I’m not fast enough, my order info will disappear and I’ll have to start all over again. That happened over and over again on the BLS website.

But it is what it is, so wish me luck! And thanks again for your helpful answer! You folks here at MySwissAlps are amazing!  🙂

Karen
    Participant
    4 posts
    15 April 2024 at 20:54:10 #1409545

Hi jmhilde,

I don’t know if it’s what you need, but in your SBB profile, there is a place to record “Co-Passengers,” and sometimes you can choose from that list if you have folks entered in there. I’ve used it for train tickets themselves, but haven’t tried it for passes yet, so I don’t know if it will work. But might be worth a shot if you haven’t tried yet!

Take care,

Karen

jmhilde
    Participant
    27 posts
    15 April 2024 at 22:33:08 #1409553

Thanks, Karen!

Nope, as I said in my original post, there is no tool for entering passenger information from my account. Even though I’ve entered all six passengers’ information in my SBB profile, the system does not give me the option to simply auto-load that information as I’m ordering the various rail passes. (The STC tourist website doesn’t even give the option of creating a profile, as far as I can see.) So I have to do each one manually, one at a time, until all 18 passes have been ordered. The inefficiency is stunning.

Your reply did inspire me to send a query to SBB asking about this. So thanks for that!  🙂

DebH
    Participant
    77 posts
    16 April 2024 at 10:37:59 #1412348

I have my husband entered as a co-passenger and it allowed me to purchase two Saver Day Passes without re-entering our information.

Not sure that it will work for a larger number or different passes though.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 April 2024 at 12:29:29 #1422380

I guess that the Switzerland Travel Centre (STC) webshop doesn’t offer user accounts because most customers buy one pass, and one time only. Indeed that causes more work in specific cases. However, creating and confirming a user account via e-mail takes time as well. I’d purchase it there anyway as they are the tourist-geared shop of the SBB. That’s handy in case support is needed, and the payment options tend to work better too. You can’t go wrong with them in my experience.

jmhilde
    Participant
    27 posts
    17 April 2024 at 21:37:35 #1429362

Thanks, Arno, that’s my plan! I heard back from SBB customer service and they confirmed that there is no auto-fill tool to order multiple passes, they must be ordered one by one with information entered manually. So, since I’ll have to do that regardless, I’ll follow your advice and go with STC. Perhaps my comments will encourage SBB/STC to make ordering multiple passes easier, ya never know!

Thanks for everyone’s help with this! 🙂

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.