Itinerary Geneva, Lavaux, Montreux, Gruyères

• Asa_C
    Participant
    10 posts
    23 August 2022 at 0:02:04 #828151

Hello! I have two full days based in Lausanne and I was stuck planning what to do. I know at some point I wanted to do a cruise and I’m worried that my activities planned will take longer than I expect.

On Saturday Sept 17th I was going to do a trip to Geneva to visit the Carouge markets and Jet d’Eau. If I had time that day, I wanted to see the Lavaux vineyards, and go wine tasting. I saw somewhere that you can do that at visitor centers but I don’t know exactly where that was. I’m not sure what towns to visit for that so I’d really appreciate some recommendations!

Then, on CNGs website I saw a boat departing Sun 18th from Lausanne at 9:10 for Montreux and was thinking I could walk along the promenade and maybe see Chillon. After that, I wanted to go to Gruyeres if it’s worth visiting.

Is doing Geneva, Lavaux, Montreux, and Gruyeres possible in 2 days? If so, what would be the best way to do it?

I will have a first class Swiss Travel Pass, and from what I understand, it covers the cost of boat trips and I will be able to sit on the upper deck. Do I still need to get a ticket to get on the boat, or do I just walk on like I would other public transportation and show my pass if I get checked?

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thank you!

• Anna
    6397 posts
    23 August 2022 at 3:58:11 #945907

Hi Asa,

Yes, with the Swiss Travel Pass you can just simply get on the boat. There is no need to buy tickets or make prior reservation.

Your plan to visit Geneva, Lavaux, Montreux and Gruyeres in 2 days is certainly doable. I would combine the trip as follows:

Day 1 – Take a train from Lausanne to Geneva. Spend the morning exploring Geneva and walk to the fountain. In the afternoon, take the train to Lutry and explore the Lavaux vineyards from there: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lutry-epesses. You can either hike or take the mini tourist trains which takes you around the vineyards.

Day 2 – Take a boat from Lausanne to Chateau Chillon. From the castle, it’s leisurely 10-15 walks along the promenade to Montreux. Then you can take a train from Montreux to Gruyeres to visit the cheese factory and explore its medieval town.

It’s up to you to plan this in the order you like. Be sure to use the timetable to check train and boat schedules.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2022 at 23:51:49 #945908

As with most wine tasting regions around the world, vineyard owners large and small have ‘Caves’ where you can taste and buy. There are numerous viticulteurs in the Lavaux, along the railway line by the lake. It is worth looking at the various on line mapping internet sites that will show these as links . You can go from Lausanne or Geneva to any station along the Lavaux coast (Lutry, Vilette VD, Cully, Epesses, Rivaz, St Saphorin

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_fields/2022/100.pdf

Alternatively take the train from Lausanne up the hill to Grandvaux and walk down to the lake shore through the vineyards

Asa_C
    Participant
    10 posts
    27 August 2022 at 23:26:50 #945909

Thanks for the response Anna, I think I’ll do just that!

Also, is it alright if I were to bring my own lunch on to the boat, or is that seen as improper since there will probably be a restraunt?

Asa_C
    Participant
    10 posts
    27 August 2022 at 23:31:09 #945910

I looked up some places I’d like to check out in those towns along the way, thank you!

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 August 2022 at 6:47:56 #945911

Hi Asa C,

It’s no problem to have your own lunch outside of the restaurant area. Many travelers do so. If you’re in the boat restaurant, you’re expected to order from their menu and not have your own food and drinks.

• The thread ‘Itinerary Geneva, Lavaux, Montreux, Gruyères’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.