Jungfraujoch price with Swiss Travel Pass versus Jungfrau Travel Pass?

• Henry
    Participant
    11 posts
    8 May 2024 at 17:10:33 #1520646

Hi everyone

We have the Swiss Travel Pass (STP) and want to visit Jungfraujoch. I understand we are free with STP all the way to Grindelwald Terminal then we have to buy return tickets Grindelwald Terminal Jungfraujoch, which would be CHF 336.4 (with discount) for 2. However, I just discovered that if we use STP to buy Jungfraujoch three-day pass, it would only be CHF 330 for 2, which is even cheaper and allows us two more days to use elsewhere (such as cable car to Harder Kulm). Am I right (that three-day pass is cheaper than single ticket) or have I missed something here please?

Grateful for any advice please

• Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 16:12:18 #1522477

Hi Henry,

That’s great you are planning a visit to Jungfraujoch.

Below is our handy guide to visiting Jungfraujoch

Your research is correct, with the Swiss Travel Pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-travel-pass/), it would be CHF336.40 for two to visit Jungfraujoch from Grindelwald Terminal.

With the Jungfrau Travel Pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/jungfrau-travel-pass/), having the Swiss Travel Pass would entitle you to buy the minimum 3 day Jungfrau Travel Pass at a discounted rate. For two people, totalling CHF330, however you would still need to purchase the return tickets from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch .  Depending when you visit, this would be either CHF150 (June, July, August) or CHF 126 (other months) , for two.

Also, do check the weather forecast before buying any tickets – you’d want to be sure of fine weather to enjoy the views there. You’d be ok to purchase a day before or on the morning, once you know the weather will be fine.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Henry
    Participant
    11 posts
    9 May 2024 at 19:33:45 #1522485

Ha ha. Yolanda, you are a star and saved my bacon!

Now you made it clear and when I look again, I realise that the Jungfrau Travel Pass indeed does not include the last leg between Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch (the colour is long-dotted while and not short-dotted yellow in the map…). I am very glad I asked otherwise I would look a complete fool in front of my wife on the day…

Many thanks also for advising me that I need to check the weather before buying the tickets (and indeed going). I have seen some similar advice but felt that it is really hard to be sure what good whether means (because I have also seen a lot of comments about how the weather clear itself…). So I guess what you are saying is that if the weather forecast is bad (sorry, can I ask what would be considered bad in June – would it snow? rain? or just ‘cloudy’ is bad?), we just go somewhere else? Again, is the correct strategy to try to go on the first day and if weather is bad, move the second day interbinary to first day and hope that the weather gets better in subsequent days? Grateful for some advice on this one – sorry but if another post is needed, I will do that.

Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 21:04:55 #1522490

Hi there Henry,

Happy to help.

In regard to the weather forecast. As it’s a fairly expensive outing, it would be a shame to head up there and have no visibility and not be able to enjoy the stunning views.  Mountain weather can change quite quickly, it can be so different in a short amount of time.  The Swiss weather forecasts are in general fairly reliable, so I’d run with what they forecast. You can also check the local webcams too.  For sure you’d want clear or fairly clear weather, less clouds or fog the better. More in the link below:

The data should be reliable a day or two before, then you can comfortably buy your tickets online to visit Jungfraujoch.  Online purchase options can be in the below link:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11410 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.