4 days in the Jungfrau region in May, with a rental car

• Travelinggirl
    Participant
    1 post
    6 May 2024 at 8:34:30 #1497296

Hello all:

I am planning a last minute trip based in Brienz, from May 10 (Fri) to May 13 (Mon). I have been to the Jungfra region (Lauterbrunnen, Murren, and Jungfrajoch) before, although it was during bad weather. This time, I will have a rental car, and want to see places that I have not seen before, but am open to revisiting Murren/Wengen if time and money allows.

I see that many rides are not open at this time of the year, but I cannot change the travel dates (it’s a work trip for my spouse). My questions:

1. I would like to see Grindelwald. So, I want to reach the First View platform and do the First Flyer experience. I understand that I need to take the cable car up to the starting point. However, what I don’t understand is that First Fly allows one to descend down the mountain. So, should I buy a round-trip ticket or two single tickets (one for a longer trip and the other for a short trip)?
    2. First Flyer — I will bring a light backpack. I know that sometimes backpacks are not allowed during the flight. If this is the case, how do I retrieve my bag at the end of the flight? Which cable car station will I reach?
    3.  What other available cable car/gondola should I try that provides a different view?
    4. Inside Grindelwald, I would like to walk around a charming Alpine Swiss village (hopefully, without bumping into too many tour buses). Where should I go and where should I park? I would like to also visit the glacier gorge. How early should I reach Grindelwald and park my car?
    5. Will all these activities take half a day or one full day?
    6.  If you have to choose between the Grindelwald glacier gorge and Aareschlucht, which one should I choose?

Thank you very much for your time and help. I desperately need some guidance.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11390 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.