Different routes Luzern to Lugano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2018 at 18:10:21 #818491

Hello everyone, noticed there are 2 routes for Luzern to Lugano

The first is a direct from Luzern to Lugano without having to transit. The second requires a change at stop at Art-Goldau. Would there be a difference in terms of the scenery between the 2 routes ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2018 at 23:30:27 #896760

Your choice really

The direct train has the advantage of avoiding change of train at Arth Goldau (better if you have lots of luggage for example)

The service that includes the VAE train will go along Lake Luzern and you get good views of the lake and the Rigi

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 September 2018 at 5:13:25 #896761

Hi DSL,

As 1960man said, there’s a difference in the first (short) section to Arth-Goldau. Other than that the routes are the same, and cross the long base tunnel under the Gotthard. A third more scenic but slower option is the Gotthard Panorama Express: http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 September 2018 at 6:44:34 #896762

You need to go via Göschenen to avoid the 57km underground bit and maximise the scenery. YOu can go either via the Gotthard Panorama Express as Lucas suggests or regular trains on the same route. The GPEX requires seat reservation.

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    24 September 2018 at 12:30:41 #896763

Good morning DSL, I just got back from a trip to Switzerland on Thursday and one leg of my trip was traveling from Lugano to Lucern via the Gotthard Panorama Express. I would highly recommend this route if possible. Nice relaxing trip across Lake Lucern on a 1900 steam ship to Fluelen then a short walk over to train station for a very scenic train ride down to Lugano. The people on this forum helped me plan my trip and it turned out great.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2018 at 15:49:56 #896764

Does that mean I need to take from Lucerne to goschenen and then transfer from goschenen to Lugano if I intend to follow the normal train route but still wanna avoid the tunnel to enjoy the view ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 September 2018 at 15:59:55 #896765

Hi DSL,

The scenic route is via Göschenen indeed (you don’t get off the train there). The page in my previous post explains it in detail (check the Route tab).

• The thread ‘Different routes Luzern to Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.