Can we visit Morcote & Monte Brè in 1 day from Lugano?

• ELKay
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 April 2024 at 0:58:41 #1459698

Hello!

Let me apologize!  I have a lot of questions!

We’re going to be in Gandria and Lugano in June.  We only have a day and a half to visit.  I have checked multiple sites for information about boat cruises and the funicular.

First of all, is it possible to see both in one day?

Secondly, I notice most of these trips include a tour; either 3 or more hours for each tour, which we don’t have.

Is it possible to take transport from Lugano to Morcote by boat, and then take the bus back to Lugano?  What bus would we take back?  We won’t have the Swiss Travel Pass, can we pay as we load on the bus?  Is the bus station easy to find in Morcote to take back?

If we take the bus to Lugano after Morcote, is there a bus that could take us to the office to buy the tickets for the funicular up and down to Monte Bre’?   How much time would you say we would need to enjoy and visit the town of Bre’ while we’re there?

Thank you so much for your time, expertise and help!

ELKay

• Yolanda
    2412 posts
    25 April 2024 at 22:28:20 #1461431

Hi ELKay,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Many thanks for sharing your plans.

An early start to the day will help if you are trying to fit both in.  I suggest you use the Swiss timetable so you plan and research the journey times to suit.  Here’s the link:

Take a look at our guide to visiting Monte Bre below:

It’s recommended to allow for 3 hours but perhaps you could omit any of the walks you perhaps had in mind at the top if you are working to a time restraint?  Funicular tickets can be purchased on the spot.

The boat trip from Lugano to Morcote is approximately 1h 30, tickets can be purchased at the staffed desks at the pier. More on Lugano boat trips in the attached link:

There is a bus (B431) that you can take back to Lugano, the journey time varies so choose a connection that suits. Use the Swiss timetable so you can see what is available.

A note, you may also want to check with your hotel if they will  offer you the Ticino Ticket, you’d receive free and discounted travel in the region.  All explained here:

Otherwise, you’ll find ticket machines readily available for ticket purchases or there are online options too.  All explained in the below link:

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

ELKay
    Participant
    4 posts
    29 April 2024 at 1:35:01 #1466989

Thank you so much!  You guys are amazing!  (It took me a some time to find this response, thank you for your quick reply!)

ELKay
    Participant
    4 posts
    29 April 2024 at 2:21:01 #1466990

We will buy the boat tickets on the day we need them.  We were planning on leaving quite early in the morning to purchase tickets and take the boat to Morcote.  Following that excursion, we’ll go up the funicular to Monte Bre’.

We are driving through Switzerland on this trip, so we will have a car.  Where do you suggest we park our car?  Is there someplace in between the boat launch and the funicular that we could park, so that we’d have easy access to it after both excursions?

We’ll take the boat, one way to Morcote and then take the bus back to Lugano.  Is the bus station easy to find from Morcote?  Where would be the closest drop off to then go to the funicular?  I was able to purchase the funicular tickets already- thanks to you!

Thank you again.  This site is fantastic.

Lori

Anna
    6407 posts
    29 April 2024 at 22:08:57 #1470939

Hi ELKay,

One option would be to park at the Lugano train station and just use public transport to get around. It’s about CHF16 per day for the parking if I’m not mistaken. You can also pay by the hour. Check out the app P+Rail. More info is at https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/car/parking/.

Regards,

Anna

ELKay
    Participant
    4 posts
    2 May 2024 at 2:18:38 #1489655

That’s a fantastic idea.  Thank you so much.

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    362 posts
    3 May 2024 at 10:31:36 #1492635

Hi ELKay,

>>> Is the bus station easy to find from Morcote?

Morcote is very small. There is a bus stop not far from the boat dock – to the left if you have your back to the lake. There is another bus stop just past the entrance to Parco Scherrer if you decide to go there. See attached screenshot.

>>> Where would be the closest drop off to then go to the funicular?

Use the link to the SBB timetable that Yolanda gave you to plan this trip.

• From Morcote, Piazza Grande (or Morcote, Parco Scherrer)
    • To Monte Brè

That will plan the whole route for you, right to the top of Monte Brè.

I would avoid connections that require a change of buses at Melide, Stazione. The bus stops there can be confusing, and I once missed a connection there due to waiting at the wrong stop!

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11180 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.