Mürren to Jungfraujoch in August: best route with minimum transfers

• Jeremy
    Participant
    1 post
    14 April 2024 at 19:01:30 #1405434

For the train experts out there:

Looking at the sbb.ch website, the routes are very different depending on departure time. For example, if I depart at 0606, I’d need to transfer 5 times and go via Grindelwald Terminal.  If I depart at 0736, I’d only need to transfer 3 times and go via Kleine Scheidegg.  It appears that at 0900, the train goes directly from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch and that I wouldn’t need to transfer at Eigergletscher…is that correct?

I’ll be going in August and expect massive crowds so I plan to buy the reservations for the last leg from Kleine Scheidegg. My research is saying that it’s best to get on the first available train to Jungfraujoch, but I’m thinking if I can minimize the transfers at leave at 0736, I’d still be fine.

Thank you in advance

• Anna
    6397 posts
    15 April 2024 at 21:12:20 #1409547

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

In general, the Swiss timetable (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/public-transport/timetable/) displays the fastest connection based on your selected departure time and location.

From Mürren, the best route would be to take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg and then Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch. For the return journey, you could travel via the alternative route: Jungfraujoch to Eigergletscher on the cogwheel train, Eiger Express to Grindelwald Terminal then train back to Lauterbrunnen.

You can find further information about how to travel to Jungfraujoch here, including information on priority boarding: https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/jungfraujoch/

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.