North Face or Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg hike after Schilthorn/Birg

• andym98
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 April 2024 at 1:45:59 #1384828

We’re in our early 70’s and staying in Lauterbrunnen in September. Our plan was to visit Schilthorn and Birg (Skyline and Thrill walk) in the morning and after lunch do the North Face Trail (4.5 miles). On a different day, we would take the cog railway up to Wengen and then cable car or gondola to Mannlichen where we would hike down to Kleine Scheldegg (2.5 miles). From there take the train back down to Lauterbrunnen and visit Trümmelbach Falls in the afternoon.

Would we be smarter to do the Klein Scheldegg on the afternoon of the first day (yes, we would have to go back down to Lauterbrunnen) – as it is less strenuous? And then do the North Face Trail on the morning of the other day (followed by the waterfalls)?? I’m not sure of the physical demands of the Schilthorn/Birg morning combined with the high altitude. And, of course, the weather is always a factor!  Any guidance would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks,

Andy

• Swede4life
    Participant
    120 posts
    10 April 2024 at 12:47:48 #1389499

Andy, we also debated this being in our 70’s last Summer. We were stationed in Wengen (https://www.myswissalps.com/town/wengen/)  and decided (glad we did) to take the Gondola (5-minute walk from the train station) up to Mannlichen (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/mannlichen/) for the 2.75 mile easy walk down to Kleine Scheldegg and return via train to Wengen. Views and wildflowers were splendid along the walk. Take the Royal Ride on top of the Gondola and have breathtaking views of the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Mannlichen had 4 people playing the Alphorn which was magnificent and a restaurant to enjoy a beverage before the walk. The North Face was for another day.

Mark
    Participant
    805 posts
    10 April 2024 at 16:35:59 #1395118

Hi Andy

My wife and I are in our early 70s too and enjoy easy to moderate day hikes. A couple years ago when we did the Mannlichen to KS hike (https://www.myswissalps.com/blog/hike-mannlichen-kleine-scheidegg/) we still wanted a little more exercise as the hike is quite easy. So we continued up to Eigerglachter(1 hr), rode the train back down to KS then hiked from KS to Wengenalp, a very easy slightly downhill route (1 hr). At Wengenalp we took the train back to Wengen.

I’m not sure how long you will be in the area but I highly recommend the Mountain View Trail  from Grutschalp to Murren (high route, 4.5 miles), First to Bussalp via Hireleni, and the Panaramag trail at Schyneige Platte. Attached are photos of the 3 hikes Mountain View trail, Bussalp hike, and Panaramag SP, hike

mark

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    11 April 2024 at 10:33:43 #1398931

Hi Andy,

Some helpful advice provided.  It’s good you have plans organised 🙂  I’d just remain flexible and run with what works for you nearer the time and if need be juggle things a little to suit.

As you mention – the weather could decide things for you anyways and also if the altitude does affect you both when you arrive at Schilthorn (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/schilthorn/) , you may need to adjust plans too.

You have some lovely choices and you may find you can accomplish all and if not, I’m sure you’ll have a terrific time anyways.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

andym98
    Participant
    13 posts
    12 April 2024 at 18:09:44 #1402574

Thank you Mark, Swede4life, and Yolanda! Great suggestions and tips. Much appreciated 🙂

Andy

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.