Overview of recent trip to Interlaken/Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2018 at 11:04:03 #818155

Just thought I’d share my experiences of our recent week in Interlaken, as I’ve found the resources on this site really useful. We stayed at the Manor Farm campsite (recommended) just outside Interlaken, on the basis that it would offer some relaxation time and be a base for exploring Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald etc. Overall, it worked pretty well, accepting that there are always compromises. Our thoughts on the trip:

• We were prepared for it, but nonetheless found Switzerland generally very expensive, especially for eating out. Coffees and soft drinks quickly inflate your bill when eating
    • Service at restaurants and cafes was generally slower than in the UK (or France, where we’d been the previous week)
    • Almost everbody spoke really good English and were really helpful
    • Quite a few places, including shops and restaurants, were closed for a day or two in both Interlaken and Grindewald, and some also closed for a couple of hours at lunchtime
    • We didn’t use any of the rail passes other than the all year 30 CH franc pass for my son, as the weather forecast and other issues complicated our arrangements. This meant that trips to Kleine Scheidegg, First and Schilthorn were expensive, especially when compared to the lift passes available in Chamonix (accepting the fact that I’m not comparing exactly like for like)
    • A bit more research on my part would have revealed that the cable car to Schilthorn takes longer than expected due to the number of changes – don’t assume that as you get out of one car that you will automatically get on the next one. Coupled with the queues at Stechelberg, it probably took around 1 hour 45 to reach Piz Gloria. Moral of the story – pre-purchase tickets if possible, and go early! We weren’t late (around 9.15), but the earlier the better. Unfortunately, by the time we arrived at the summit, the weather was closing in so the views were very limited – we hung around for 90 minutes or so without any discernible improvement before (reluctantly) making the decision to descend by cable car to the first station where the weather had improved. This turned out to be Murren, which is simply stunning – as soon as we left the cable car station, we were in bright sunshine and confronted by the sight of the Eiger/Jungfrau. We then enjoyed an amazing walk back down to the valley via Gimmelwald (wonderful mountain hostel here), following the river and waterfalls.
    • Despite my initial scepticism, the Trummelbach Falls were well worth the admission fee of 11 CH francs (I think) – very spectacular, and a chance to cool off following our hike down from Murren. The force of the water is amazing, a real feast for the senses. Recommended
    • We’d promised my son a day at First to try out some of the activities on offer – in the end, he plumped for the First Flyer, the First Glider and the mountain carts. The first two were spectacular, though over within a minute after around 20 minutes queuing (and this was around 10.00 am), offering amazing views over the Eiger, Wetterhorn etc. Be sure to take you GoPro!! However, both he and I were even more impressed with the mountain carts, descending on a track from First to Bort. It was an absolute blast, again with amazing views towards the Eiger as you rattle down slopes of up to 20% gradient. Great fun! The First Cliff Walk, just outside the cafe/restaurant at First, was also pretty epic, though not for those who don’t like heights – there was a bit of a queue, but worth it to get some photos suspended in mid-air with the Eiger behind us. The walk to Lake Bachalpsee, around an hour either way, should not be missed either, staggering views across the valley. All in all, a truly excellent day at First.
    • We also took the train to Kleine Scheidegg, a spectacular ride from Grindewald via Alpiglen. We then hiked up to the Eigergletscher station before following the Eiger Trail beneath the North Face of said mountain (note that this route currently has a diversion due to construction work) . It was both amazing and rather sobering to be so close to this peak where so many people have died over the years in attempting to fulfil their lofty ambitions. We could even see the windows cut in to the face from the railway tunnel inside the Eiger. A must do. On the way back we bathed our feet in the (cold!) ‘jaccuzzi’ just above Kleine Scheidegg, sitting in seats named ‘Eiger’, ‘Monch’ and ‘Jungfrau’ overlooking the respective peaks. A well-earned lunch of sauasage and rosti, followed by apple strudel at the Restaurant Chalet, a very short walk from the station – fantastic!

Overall, we had a brilliant time in Switzerland, cannot recommend the area highly enough. Be prepared – do you research, use this forum, plan ahead (where possible) to maximise your time/save money.

Thanks again to all those who advised us before we went.

• DGerard
    Participant
    10 posts
    30 August 2018 at 16:33:23 #895287

Thank you for sharing your vacation and all the tips! You’ve made me doubly excited for our own upcoming trip in September!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2018 at 22:49:54 #895288

Thank you for posting your trip notes and helpful hints.

Glad you had a great time.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2018 at 6:09:01 #895289

Thanks for the report Spartacus.

Sounds like a great trip and thanks for the tips!

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    1 September 2018 at 2:12:02 #895290

Great feedback about your recent trip! I have still to do mine… We had a similar experience at First and Lake Bachalpsee, we were staying in Grindelwald and also loved Tummelbache Falls. I agree that this site made the planning and research so much easier and that Switzerland ‘blows your socks off’ what a beautiful country.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

• The thread ‘Overview of recent trip to Interlaken/Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.