What clothing to pack for a hiking trip from Wengen in early May?

• NanaTravels
    Participant
    7 posts
    18 April 2024 at 13:45:47 #1431116

First of all – this website and forum have been soooo amazingly helpful to us for planning our upcoming trip!  Thanks to all the great info & answers!

Now – with us staying in Wengen may 6-10 and hoping to do some mountain hikes (if they are open) – we’re are wondering if we should pack our “puffer” winter coats?  We had thought a sweater, a vest and windbreaker/raincoat might be enough but we are second guessing that and wondering if some winter wear might be prudent to bring?

• Yolanda
    2397 posts
    18 April 2024 at 22:08:05 #1431133

HI NanaTravels,

Thanks so much for your kind words.  It means a lot when members display such good positivity!

We actually have a practical guide, as to the type of clothing to pack throughout the course of the year.  Here’s the link:

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Annika
    7131 posts
    21 April 2024 at 10:10:11 #1436299

Hi NanaTravels!

I packed several thinner layers for a similar trip in spring. One of the items was a thin, lightweight down jacket that I could put under my water- and windproof jacket to add extra warmth. A fleece vest or a long-sleeve thermal shirt will have a similar effect. In addition, thin gloves and a hood (either the one attached to your raincoat/windbreaker or a separate fleece hood) help a lot in keeping you warm.

So with some lightweight additions, I don’t think you’ll need a thick winter coat. It can be warm to hot in the valleys in May, and a thick puffer coat could be uncomfortable there.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11140 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.