Zurich day trip Rhine Falls, Stein am Rhein with Ostwind-ZVV day pass

• F_p
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 May 2024 at 17:57:15 #1520650

Hi everyone,

I would apprecaite some advice on the best train ticket to buy with the half fare card for a day trip from Zurich to Rhine Falls and Stein am Rhein. When looking on the SBB site for the price of Zurich to Stein am Rhein (return trip), it suggests the Z-Pass OSTWIND-ZVV Day Pass All Zones.

I was wondeirng if anyone knows whether this OSTWIND-ZVV Day Pass covers Zurich to Rhine Falls (Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall) – Stein am Rhein and back to Zurich, or would I need to also purchase a another train ticket to Rhine Falls please?

Thank you.

• Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 21:25:49 #1522491

Hi F_p,

The Ostwind is a day pass that will allow you travel within the zones you purchase for.  You’ll be able to travel on the public transport as much as you wish for the  zones purchased.

Information on travel whilst in Zurich is explained in our Zurich guide here:

For your visit to Rhine Falls, all details in the attached link:

How long are you in Switzerland for? It may actually make sense to invest in a rail pass instead?  All rail passes explained here:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

F_p
    Participant
    8 posts
    9 May 2024 at 21:49:31 #1522493

Thank you, Yolanda.

I am likely going to buy the Half Fare card as when I calculated the costs of my planned trips, the half fare card works out cheaper.

When I look on SBB, it suggests the OSTWIND-ZVV Day Pass for Zurich – Stein am Rhein return, so I just wanted to make sure that I could also use that same pass from Zurich to Rhine Falls (Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall) and then onto Stein am Rhein and then back to Zurich?

Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 23:05:49 #1522499

Hi F_p,

Yes, ensure it is an all zone day pass that you purchase, then yes, you will be able to travel to all the destinations listed and return to Zurich.

KInd regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11410 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.