Quickest train route Grindelwald to Florence

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 1:12:59 #815186

Hello folks,

I needed your suggestions with the quickest train routes departing from Switzerland. Once we are finished with our stay in Grindelwald, Switzerland we will be heading to Florence, Italy.

a) What is the quickest railway option to get from Interlaken to Florence (or any other big station nearby) in Italy .

b) I will have a Swiss Travel Pass, so how do I purchase my ticket so that i can efficiently use the Swiss Travel Pass. For example, I saw a route from Interlaken –>Spiez–>Brig–>Milan –> Florence. Do i purchase 2 separate tickets here , one until Brig using my STP and another from Brig to Florence ?

Thanks

TrvelBeyond1

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 April 2018 at 5:28:39 #881281

Interlaken –>Spiez–>Brig–>Milan –> Florence. Do i purchase 2 separate tickets here , one until Brig using my STP and another from Brig to Florence ?

That’s the quickest route.

The Swiss Border is at Domodossola so the STP will cover you to there. No ticket required for that part of the trip. You will need a ticket and reservation from Domodossola to Florence.

See http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 7:46:56 #881282

Hello RockOyster,

Thank you for your response. I had a quick follow-up question. Generally, is it a better/safer option to purchase the train ticket from Domodossola to Florence leg of the trip in advance, else do i face the risk of tickets being unavailable or waiting for a long time for the next available train if I decide to purchase tickets at the station. I will be travelling on May6th.

Also, i am not very clear when you said ticket ‘and a reservation’ from Domodossola to Florence. Won’t i automatically get a reservation if i purchase a direct ticket from Domodossola.

Sorry about the number of questions, I am just trying to get a sense of things.

Thanks

TrvlBeyond1

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 April 2018 at 7:52:14 #881283

I’ve never bought a ticket to Italy but I understand prices rise closer to travel date.

I just mentioned reservations to draw a distinction between Italian trains where reservations are necessary and Swiss trains where reservations are used quite rarely.

• The thread ‘Quickest train route Grindelwald to Florence’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.